Music and Theatre programs endangered at Mount Royal University, Calgary

Day, Moira moira.day at USASK.CA
Wed Apr 17 02:23:00 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Word has come down from colleagues that the Theatre and Music programs are on the verge of being axed by the Board of Governors on Thursday. See following

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/arts+programs+fill+budget+shortfall/8251501/story.html

In connection with this, I have been asked to pass the following note on:

Mount Royal University cuts ALL of its performing arts programs at once. I have just been informed that MRU administration have decided to cancel (suspend intake) into the Theatre Arts Performance, Theatre Arts Technical and Music Performance Diploma programs, effectively removing all credit fine and performing arts at MRU. It was suggested to us today that Albertans and specifically the Alberta Provincial Government does not care about performing arts and therefore these cuts are in line with the government and the public's priorities. This could also mean the removal of MRU's Shakespeare in the Park after the 2013 season.

The MRU Board of Governors will be presented with the cuts and make their decision on Thursday. If you feel like dropping a note to the Chair (Richard Shaw) or Vice Chair (Marie Delorme - self professed supporter of the arts), send an email to them care of:

Ms. Jane O'Connor - Manager, Governance and Executive Operations MRU joconnor at mtroyal.ca<mailto:joconnor at mtroyal.ca>

Please take a moment at a busy time of year to consider expressing concern over this move.

Moira