CATR/ACRT 2014 — 360° of Engagement: Publicly-situated perfo =?utf-8?Q?rmance=E2=80=94Publicly-situating_?=performance process

Helene Vosters hvosters at YORKU.CA
Thu Oct 24 15:16:38 EDT 2013

CATR/ACRT 2014
Canadian Association for Theatre Research / Association Canadienne de la
Recherche Théâtrale
Call for Submissions for Conference 24-27 May 2014 Brock University
CALL FOR PROPOSALS

360°of Engagement: Publicly-situated performance—Publicly-situating
performance process

This seminar aims to provide a forum for those on (or between) the borders
of various disciplines — activist, artist, scholar — to explore the
relationship between theory and praxis through a shared devising process.
Each participant will develop a short performance intervention, to take
place on or in the near vicinity of the campus, during breaks between
conference sessions. We are interested in proposals that engage the
particularities of Brock as a public space – architectural,
institutional, virtual, quotidian, geopolitical – and that explore how
multiply-located bodies are differently interpellated as they negotiate the
space through both their presence and their absence.

	In addition to publicly-situated performances we are interested in
publicly situating the always complex and often hidden navigations across
the intersecting terrains of artistic creation, scholarly inquiry, and
political activism. This process will take the form of a blog that will act
virtual studio in which we can participate in a collective devising jam
session and a public forum.  Timeline
	* January: Via the blog, seminar organizers will launch share artifacts
(images, maps, articles) from a site-visit to Brock.
	* January - May: Participants will connect and begin sharing their
processes and providing feedback via the blog. Participants will be
expected to visit the blog, to share elements of their devising processes
(3-4 entries), and to give feedback (2-3 entries) on the devising process
of other group members.
	* May–CATR Conference: Performance interventions will take place during
the first two days of the conference. Each participant will attend one
intervention as an observer. At the post-performance seminar, we will share
reflections on both the process and performance.
	We welcome proposals from artists/scholars/activists interested in
animating and activating public space via performance. We encourage
submissions from graduate students and non-affiliated artists. The group
will be limited to eight projects. Interested participants are asked to
submit:
	* A 300-word abstract outlining your proposed project. We welcome projects
still in the early stages of development.
	* A 150-200 word bio.
	Please submit proposals to seminar organizers Kimberley McLeod
(kmcleod1 at yorku.ca) and Helene Vosters (hvosters at yorku.ca) by 13 January
2014.