Call for Papers for ATHE 2015 in Montreal

Frank Miller frnklin2001 at ATT.NET
Sun Oct 5 16:28:02 EDT 2014

GROWING UP QUEER IN A CATHOLIC WORLD

A Multidisciplinary Panel for the LGBTQ and Religion and Theatre Focus Groups

Association for Theatre in Higher Education

Conference 2015 Montreal

Call for Papers

The proposed panel seeks to explore the intersection of queerness and Catholicism in theatrical performance by bringing together scholars with interests in LGBTQ studies and religion in theatre to present 15-20 minutes papers on the work of theatre artists from Catholic communities. With our presence in Montreal, a natural choice would be LGBTQ French-Canadian playwrights and performance practitioners, but the panel could include presentations on people from a variety of ethnic, national and cultural backgrounds that have been strongly influenced by the Catholic Church. That influence can be revealed directly, through the artist's depiction of Catholicism in her/his work, or indirectly as an influence on the artist's approach to theatre, worldview, etc. As an example, I will be writing about the failure of knowledge in Normand Chaurette's plays, primarily Provincetown Playhouse, July 1919 and Fragments of a Farewell Letter Read by Geologists, as both a reflection of faith and a reaction against church dogma.

If you'd like to participate in this panel, please contact me at frnklin2001 at att.net with your name, affiliation, proposed title (which can be changed later), email address and phone number so I may put in the proposal in a timely manner. I would like to receive proposals by October 20 at the latest.

"You are entitled to your opinion, but if you express it in my presence, you are also entitled to mine."
					--Robbie St. Thomas
Frank Miller
frnklin2001 at att.net