Call for session proposals for ATHE 2015 in Montreal

Lionel Walsh walsha at UWINDSOR.CA
Tue Oct 7 08:06:32 EDT 2014

The 2015 Conference Committee, Association for Theatre in Higher Education
extends a special invitation to Canadian colleagues to propose a session
for the Montreal conference at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, 29 July - 2
August 2015.  Sessions can take the form of practical workshops in acting,
directing, movement, or voice; academic papers; or round table
discussions. The deadline for proposals is 1 November 2014 at midnight.

Please see below for information about the theme. I also encourage you to
visit our website for more information about the conference and other
activities and/or to propose a session: www.athe.org.

Please note that paper presentations should have at least three
presenters. If you wish to involve co-presenters from the United States, I
am happy to send your ideas to the appropriate Focus Group members.

Je me souviens: We invite you to continue to dream as we look towards our
2015 Conference in Montréal. Quebec’s simple but provocative motto, which
is not without controversy over interpretation, caught the imaginations of
the members of your 2015 Conference Committee —both metaphorically and
geographically. For ATHE’s members, in the broadest sense, it invokes
thoughts of remembering — remembering theatre at its best, when its
immediacy and humanness is embraced, remembering our past and how it
points to the future, and remembering our power to instigate change.

As most ATHE members will cross the national border of Canada and the
provincial border of Quebec — which is recognised as a nation within
Canada, and onto territory claimed by the First Nations Iroquois people,
Je me souviens can be defined by considerations of place as well. Issues
of country/isolation/assimilation that began in Phoenix, as well as acts
of revolt/revolution, quiet and otherwise, give rise to consideration of
the silences, the unsaid, the gestures, the sub-text, the dangers, the
misunderstandings, the non-discursive in the “in-between” terrain between
cultures, countries, and constituencies in Canada and beyond. Building on
this, we can also embrace inter/trans-national and inter/trans-cultural
exchanges in performance texts, process, or production.

Lionel Walsh, Associate Dean
Academic and Student Affairs
Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, ON
N9B  3P4  Canada