Call for Papers -- Architecture Working Group of IFTR 2016

Natalie Rewa rewan at QUEENSU.CA
Tue Oct 13 20:38:28 EDT 2015

Hello all,
This a call for papers for the IFTR 2016 Architecture Working Group.  This work group is dynamic and highly collegial.

CALL FOR PAPERS
THEATRE ARCHITECTURE WORKING GROUP
IFTR 2016, Stockholm
13-17 June, 2016
http://www.iftr.org/conference

PRESENTING THE THEATRICAL PAST
INTERPLAYS OF ARTEFACTS, DISCOURSES AND PRACTICES

Deadline for bursary applications: 1 December 2015
Deadline for proposals: 15 January 2016

The Theatre Architecture Working Group of the International Federation for Theatre Research (IFTR) invites paper proposals for our forthcoming meeting at IFTR 2016 Stockholm, where we will be adopting the conference theme to focus on critical perspectives on the history of theatre architecture, on exchanges between theatre and architecture, and on related historiographical issues. In addition, during the conference we will be holding a joint general panel with the Scenography Working Group to explore genealogies of theatre architecture and scenography. We suggest the following topics as possible points of interest for either our Working Group sessions or for the joint panel between the Theatre Architecture and Scenography Working Groups (but please feel free to propose your own topic). Information about who we are and how we work, and about submission procedures and bursaries can be found towards the end of this CFP.

1. THEATRE / ARCHITECTURE AND HISTORIOGRAPHY
[WORKING GROUP SESSIONS]

Following the conference theme, we invite proposals that critically investigate historiographical issues relating to theatre architecture and the exchanges between the fields of theatre and architecture through attending to the interplay between artefacts, practices and discourses. Major histories of theatre architecture and performance space including Richard and Helen Leacroft’s Theatre and Playhouse: An Illustrated Survey of Theatre Building from Ancient Greece to the Present Day (1984), Marvin Carlson's Places of Performance (1989), and David Wiles' A Short History of Western Performance Space (2003), have provided valuable overviews of the changing shapes of our stages, and have shed light on why the theatre's stages and social spaces have taken the forms they have. But much work remains to be done on how we understand and write the history of theatre architecture, how we critically frame practices of conservation, restoration and reconstruction, and how we address sizeable gaps in our knowledge about the development of theatre architecture and performance space in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, South Asia, East Asia, South-East Asia and the Pacific.

Proposals may address (but are not limited to):
re-readings of historical theatres in the light of developments in critical theory (e.g. spatial theory)

artistic and critical practices that engage with historic theatre architectures and/or historic architectures (e.g. oral history, re-enactment, reconstruction)

theories and debates about the preservation, conservation or renovation of theatre buildings

re-assessments of historic relations between architecture, landscape, spectacle and performance

relations between dominant and local traditions and questions of cultural influence and/or appropriation in theatre architecture

questions that link the relevance of the purpose-built theatre in the twenty-first century to the broader development of the playhouse

theatre architecture and post-processual / interpretive (or other) archeologies

theatre architecture and post-positivist (or other) histories

2. HERE, THEN, NOW: GENEALOGIES OF THEATRE ARCHITECTURE AND SCENOGRAPHY
[JOINT GENERAL PANEL WITH THE SCENOGRAPHY WORKING GROUP]

The Theatre Architecture and Scenography Working Groups invite proposals for contributions to a joint general panel during the IFTR Stockholm conference. This panel will represent both Working Groups by speaking to our shared interest in the histories and genealogies of theatre architecture and scenography, and to the intersections between past and present practices. Panelists will attend their primary Working Group meetings but will present their work during this joint panel. Contributions to this panel will take the form of 15 minute provocations that adopt a clear critical position in relation to this theme, and seek to open up further discussion with fellow panelists and members of both Working Groups.

Proposals may wish to address (but are not limited to):

historical convergences, divergences and intersections between scenography and architecture (see Olwig 2011)

different theoretical paradigms and sensual or aesthetic regimes that have influenced the development of scenography, architecture and theatre architecture