Dominion drama festival archives

Day, Moira moira.day at USASK.CA
Tue Oct 27 09:36:34 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

In my own travels around the various archives in Edmonton I’ve been able to track down various programs and minutes - but very few original scripts. The text for  Minnie Bicknell’s *Relief* the 1937 winner of the best play award is in the U of A library. I also found Jack Thurrott's *La Tour* the 1938 co-winner in the UNB library/special collections and have a copy of it in my own files. A reworked version of Elsie Gowan’s *Homestead* called *God Made the Country* was done by a U of A group around 1934/35, though it won no awards that year. *Homestead* has been published in *The Hungry Spirit* and I think the other version is in Elsie’s fonts at the U of A Archives. Ringwood’s *Still Stand the House* the 1939 winner has, of course, been extensively anthologized. But all these may be too early for your search period.

Most groups tended to go with already published and performed scripts. To the best of my knowledge, very few of the Canadian scripts (beyond a few of the late ones by well-known writers) were published or went very far beyond the author’s own files. No-one, to my knowledge, ever decided to publish a “best hits off the DDF Festival” anthology. Maybe a project for the future?

Moira