Dominion drama festival archives

T. Berto aberto at UOGUELPH.CA
Tue Oct 27 11:53:13 EDT 2015

Dear Moira and all else that have helped:

The suggestions have been really helpful. In my naivete I thought that perhaps they might be all stored in one place. What I'm actually looking for is an early Canadian play about gay Identity called A Stranger Unto My Brethren by John Burgess. It won the GG's DDF prize in 1966 but then had a rather controversial with accusations of its not gaining further 'legs' due to its content. Here's the little I've been able to find: My main interest is to find a copy of the script. Because the Governor general gave it an award (seemingly designed just for DDF winners), does anyone know if this could prove an avenue to locating a script? Any and all suggestions would help.

best

TB

Dr. T. Berto
School of English and Theatre Studies,
University of Guelph.
aberto at uoguelph.ca

---. A .

Burgess, John. A Stranger Unto My Brethren . Questers of Toronto. Governor General’s Award for Dominion Drama Festival. 1969. Massey Award for best Canadian playwright at DDF.

[Robert Trow, "John Burgess," Body Politic, no. 13 (1974), p.13]

Drawing on the funds under this section the Council contributed to the programme of prizes for new plays being planned by the Dominion Drama Festival for three of its regions during the 1965-66 season. Thirty-seven plays were submitted. In Western Quebec Region, three of these were chosen for inclusion in the Regional Festival and two were recommended in Toronto. Of these two, A Stranger unto my Brethren by John Burg ess, won awards for best production and best new Canadian play, thus qualifying for the final Festival in Victoria.

-The Canada Council Annual report 1965-66. Pg. 10.

“Dominion Drama Festival Award Winners Listed.” The Montreal Gazette. 24, May. 1966. 36. <https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19660524&id=boEuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rp8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=5095,5329386&hl=en>.

"Massey Award for best Canadian Play at DDF. "

Jocelyn, Gordon. "They Stayed Away in Droves." The Montreal Gazette.

10 December 1966. 38. Review.<https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19661210&id=KpUtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4p8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=7325,2268158&hl=en>.

Cast: Jack O'Reilly as the Bachelor, Joni Calvir as the wife, Ian Stuart as the husband, Shelia Zack.

Director M.E. Evans

Produced: Merger Productions.

Theatre: The Collonade, Toronto

2.5 week into the run, so app Dec 1st opening day.

Company: Questors of Toronto

"TORONTO (CP)-The Central Ontario Drama League's president has complained to John Brook, president of the Dominion Drama Festival, that the Questors of Toronto were slighted during last month's DDF finals at Victoria.

Blanch Hogg said in a letter to Mr. Brook - that adjudicator Marius Goring withheld the award for the best production of a Canadian play from the Questors who performed A Stranger Unto My Brethren . "Withholding the award on the grounds of no competition and the almost immediate reversal of this stand in the award of La Plaque du Festival to Le Mouvement Contemporain for Les Bonnes, the only French-Canadian entry could only be interpreted as a discrimination based on a personal bias against John Burgess's play itself, which had been obvious in the earlier adjudication," Mrs. Hogg's letter said.

HAMILTON (CP) Peter Dearing, artistic director of the London, Ont. Little Theatre called Sunday for a conformity of rules between the" Dominion Drama Festival and ' preliminary regional competition . Speaking to a meeting of Hamilton's Sir Thomas More flayers, Mr.Dearing said a Montreal entry in the 1966 DDF finals at Victoria would not have been allowed in the Western Ontario Drama League Festival." He said Les Bonnes presented by Le Mouvement Contemporain was a one-act play, lasting only 80 minutes. Such an entry, he said, would not be allowed in the western Ontario competition which insists each ' play be at least two acts. Dearing. whose production of Mother Courage placed second in the 1966 DDF, also said there is a tendency for small- drama groups to form strictly for participation in the six zonal competitions which send a winning play to the Dominion finals. The director - also criticized the adjudicator of the 1966 festival, Marius Goring: He said the festival week was ''valueless' as far as adjudication was concerned." Mr. Goring was not interested in technicals,- he said, and he never mentioned an actor by name."

"Goring Attacked by Drama Buffs." The Ottawa Journal .13 June 1966. 28 . Print.

< http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/42977092/>

Massey Medal Winner, DDF. 1966

< http://litawards.library.mun.ca/index.php?award=998>

"Drawing on new funds available under this section the Council contributed to the programme of prizes for new plays being planned by the Dominion Drama Festival for three of its regions during the1965-66 season. Thirty-seven plays were submitted. In Western Quebec Region, three of these were chosen for inclusion in the Regional Festival and two were recommended in Toronto. Of these two, A Stranger unto my Brethren by John Burgess, won awards for best production and best new Canadian play, thus qualifying for the final Festival in Victoria."

"The Canada Council Annual Report 1965-66." The Canada Council. 10. Pdf.

< http://canadacouncil.ca/~/media/files/annual%20reports/1966/1965- 1966%20annual%20report.pdf>.

aberto at uoguelph.ca