VideoCab's Small Huts Plays now available to Universities and Colleges

Robin Whittaker rwhit at STU.CA
Tue Feb 16 13:48:52 EST 2016

Dear Candrama Colleagues,
(apologies for cross-posting)

In advance of Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017, VideoCabaret is making available to universities and colleges for production the plays of Michael Hollingsworth’s 21-play cycle The History of the Village of the Small Huts! VideoCab’s information package is attached.

Some of you know that I had the great pleasure of directing Trudeau and the FLQ last fall with Theatre St. Thomas here at STU, inspired by the VideoCab unique ‘black box’ style. After DD Kugler’s productions of Laurier (2003) and The Cold War (2013) at SFU a couple of years ago, ours was only the third production of a Small Huts play outside of Toronto. Students involved themselves in the style and the history of the plays; our sold-out audiences were drawn from students and faculty from departments that included History, Poli Sci, Drama, and English, as well as the local community at large (many non-theatre-goers attended!). Post-show discussions were lively to say the least.

If you can, I highly recommend considering VideoCab’s famed plays for production at your post-secondary theatre companies. Hollingsworth’s writing is known for both its accuracy and its unique aesthetic engagement, which makes it ideal for introducing Canada’s history to our students.

My testimonial is included in the package, as is DD’s.

I’d be happy to answer any questions about our experience doing the show if you email me offlist. And I’d love to know if you chose one of their plays!

All the best,
Robin.

p.s. The trailer for our production is here (with copy from the press release): https://youtu.be/xHgXeuMFRa4

--