Canadian Drama Courses in Canada

Heather Fitzsimmons Frey heatherff at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 24 08:58:38 EST 2016

Hello Moira and All!

Thanks for this interesting discussion.  I happened to be at Robart's
yesterday and picked up a copy of a book called Canadian School Plays
(1948), edited by Emrys Maldwyn Jones, Professor of Drama, University of
Saskatchewan.  It includes scripts by such playwriting powerhouses as Elsie
Park Gowan and Gwen Pharis Ringwood.  In light of this discussion, I
googled Jones this morning.  Apparently he has a 1946 book called The
University's Duty Towards Canadian Drama.  I haven't seen it, but I wonder
if Jones taught the first courses in Canadian Drama?  I also found this bio
at the University of Saskatchewan site:
Biography:

[image: ------]

Emrys Maldwyn Jones was born in Dowlais, Wales on 14 September 1905. His
early education was in Edmonton, Alberta, including a B.A from the
University of Alberta in 1931.

In the summer of 1928 Jones took a train north from Edmonton to the
terminus at Waterways where he boarded a boat that would eventually take
him north to the Mackenzie River Delta.

>From 1931 to 1939, he taught high school in Edmonton. He returned to the
University of Alberta in 1939 where he combined employment as a drama
instructor with his graduate studies. He earned his MA in 1943 and spent
the next two years studying at Cornell and Columbia universities on a
Rockefeller Fellowship.

[image: Emrys M. Jones - Department of Drama]
<http://scaa.usask.ca/gallery/northern/jones/images/EMJones_1945-73.jpg>
In 1945 Emrys Jones joined the faculty of the University of Saskatchewan as
Professor and Head Department of Drama. He was the first full professor of
drama to be appointed at a Commonwealth university. During his career Jones
educated hundreds of students, directed dozens of plays, and advanced the
dramatic arts on the national stage by founding the Canadian Theatre Centre
in 1956. He was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (London) in 1971
and named Professor Emeritus of Drama in 1973.

Heather Fitzsimmons Frey, PhD

Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies, University of Toronto

NEW BOOK: *Ignite: Illuminating Theatre for Young People* (edited by
Heather Fitzsimmons Frey)
http://www.playwrightscanada.com/index.php/ignite-illuminating-theatre-for-young-people.html
<http://www.cambridgescholars.com/theatre-and-learning>