Canadian Drama Courses in Canada

Day, Moira moira.day at USASK.CA
Wed Feb 24 11:25:12 EST 2016

Hi Heather,

Thanks for chiming in. I’m aware of both those documents - and of course, of our historic significance as the first Drama Department in the British Commonwealth. Mostly because of Jones, we were designated as one of the models for future drama training in Canada.

I’ve gone through the curricula from the start of the department - and as far as I can tell, I taught the first formal or full Canadian Theatre course in the department over 1992-93. But that doesn’t mean that the job wasn’t getting done here much earlier in different ways. The department staged its first Canadian play, *Eros at Breakfast*, on the MainStage in spring 1948; offered Robert Gard’s *Raisin' the Devil* for the 1949 spring tour, and did a bill of 6 new Canadian plays in spring 1962. Saskatchewan also offered one of the first MA programs in Drama in the country (1965-66) and three of the first four theses produced between 1967-71 were on Canadian Theatre topics. During the couple of years that Patrick O’Neill was here before moving on to Atlantic Canada, he also had students doing research projects on the history of the early Saskatoon theatre as part of the general Theatre History classes he was teaching here. As is often the case in small departments though, these projects rested on the initiative of a few dedicated, visionary, hardworking souls - and when these stalwart individuals retired or moved on - the projects often faltered as well.

As was probably the case in many drama departments of our kind, the strongest and most consistent influence our department had on the Canadian theatre can be measured in terms of the people who went on to careers in the educational and professional theatre in Canada.

Moira