Harry Lindley query

ian mcwilliams isianmcw at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 10 11:45:41 EDT 2016

Hi, Ian.

I've come across Lindley a few times in prairie newspapers (*Peel's Prairie
Provinces <http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/index.html>* is an online
wonder... although in-person at the SK archives is where I primarily
researched).

For example, in the Prince Albert Advocate newspaper:
Good times:
*The Harry Lindley Co. closed a ten-night engagement at the town hall on
Saturday night last, producing on that occasion, by special request,
“Little Lord Fauntleroy” and “Is Marriage a failure.” The whole series of
plays with possibility the exception of the piece.  "A Tenderfoot Divine,”
were very good, and good houses were the rule.  The company calculated to
finish on Friday night and gave a matinee that afternoon, but having
changed their route of travel, stayed over here on Saturday, drawing a full
house that evening. They left on Monday’s train expecting to open at Moose
Jaw. This company may return again late this fall* (Advocate - Tuesday
August 3 1897 – Town and Country).

or bad times:

*Harry Lindley has been having a cyclone of calamity.  Miss Ferre, his
leading lady, is in quarantine with scarlet fever, as is Mr. Carrington
also, in Moose Jaw, Miss Dorrity is in the hospital at Prince Albert, under
the care of Dr. Spence.  Mr. Decks is under doctor’s care, but by good
fortune Walter B. Woodall arrived on a visit and Miss Carruthers joined the
forces.  The company drive to Battleford and stay there a week or so.  They
also play at Saskatoon.  Harry is astounded at the jumps the towns are
making.  He brought a celebrated British Columbia doctor, Dr. O’Hagan, up
to Prince Albert, and by the introduction of T. O. Davis, M.P. he settles
in Melfort.  Mr. Lindley plays Regina coming down.—Regina Standard  *(Advocate
July 28, 1902, P1, “Personal Pointers Re Prominent People”).

Hopefully this helps,

Ian

Ian McWilliams, Ph.D.
isianmcw at gmail.com