Mavor Moore and the Teaching of Canadian Theatre History

Anton Wagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Tue Mar 1 12:08:07 EST 2016

Having taken three of Mavor's courses at York in 1970-72, I fail to see why CTR refused to publish your review.
It was in Mavor's playwriting courses that I realized I was not a playwright (Mavor never suggested that himself)
but that I could pursue the wide-open field of Canadian theatre and Canadian theatre history in which he had
and was still playing such an important part. When Dora Mavor Moore's log cabin was auctioned off by Habitat
for Humanity, I obtained an offer for a  $20,000 loan from the Estate of Herman Voaden to bid for and purchase the
cabin and to convert it into a theatre museum. Alas, I was vastly outbid by an advertising executive who purchased
the log cabin and incorporated it into a $1 million country home. (See my "Moore cabin's a trove of theatre history,"
"Other Voices" column, Toronto Star, March 12, 1994.)

The Canada's Lost Plays series only covered English-Canadian drama up to Robertson Davies' 1948 Hope Deferred.
Mavor's playwriting came after that, much of it by two decades. Again, Alan Boss could have gotten in touch to
discuss this. As I suggested early on as a theatre historian, in "The Uses of Oral History in Canadian Theatre History
Research", Canadian Oral History Association Journal, 4/1, (1979), relying only on archival research and primary
and secondary sources can often result in distorted findings. Consulting the living memory of contemporaries is
always essential. Best, Anton Wagner.