celebrations of the past

Ann saddlemy at UVIC.CA
Wed Mar 2 19:17:20 EST 2016

Hello again,
    I've greatly appreciated being reminded of 'our' history, and especially moved by the affectionate and rightly honoured memories of my dear friend and longtime colleague. Mavor Moore was almost the first person i met when I moved to Toronto in the fall of 1971.  He was certainly the first I consulted when setting up my course on Canadian drama at victoria college, and I begged him to push his publishers into getting his book of plays out in time for me to prescribe it.  He supported the work on theatre history at the Drama Centre. We enjoyed planning together the first conference on "Canadian Theatre before the Fifties", and he was a strong enthusiast behind the scenes for the call for an association i helped organize thanks to the learned societies, who generously gave us space for that first meeting, and the formal one the following year when the committee gave its report.  Hewas the first to write me an encouraging note when I started reviewing productions for the CBC. And I attended every one of his speeches i could.  Typical of his generosity and widespread concern, when our association honoured him with a life membership, he spoke not about his own achievements but of his recently deceased mother's.
Mavor stayed with me at Massey when he was doing research for his autobiography, and happily we continued our friendship when we both moved to victoria, and i came to admire the support and strength of Alexandra. When i visited him in the nursing home, he spoke of the thesis being written, and, typically, was grateful ,somewhat bemusedly, for the help in sorting out his files.
 It was an honour to be asked to speak at the UVic memorial on this dedicated, humane, extraordinarily talented man. I too will never forget him and his legacy.
Best to all,
Ann