Looking for an author ...

SCOTT DUCHESNE sduches1 at ROGERS.COM
Tue May 24 15:02:47 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,
I'm currently working on annotating a critical edition of a 1929 book called "Creative Theatre" by Roy Mitchell. In it, he writes:"When, therefore,you pick up a book like Schlegel’s or Ward’s that purports to be a history of the theatre, no matter how grandlyit starts, it gives judgment always for the writer as against the actor and ina flood of literary concerns, politics, religion, philosophy, and socialtheories manages to create the impression that the actor is a mouthpiece forthe author’s lines."I was wondering if anyone might know which "Ward" and what book he's referring to. I haven't been able to track it down.
Cheers!