Looking for an author ...

Day, Moira moira.day at USASK.CA
Tue May 24 16:24:55 EDT 2016

Hi Scott,

Probably not the right Ward, but the only one from that era I know of is Winifred Ward:

Creative dramatics : for the upper grades and junior high school / by Winifred Ward
Ward, Winifred, 1884-
New York ; London : D. Appleton, c1930
xiv, 304 p. : ill. ; 20 cm

Moira
From: Canadian Theatre Research [CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA] on behalf of SCOTT DUCHESNE [sduches1 at ROGERS.COM]
Sent: May 24, 2016 1:02 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Looking for an author ...

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on annotating a critical edition of a 1929 book called "Creative Theatre" by Roy Mitchell. In it, he writes:
"When, therefore, you pick up a book like Schlegel’s <https://ca-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=rogers-acs&.rand=6873203660kd8#_ftn1> or Ward’s that purports to be a history of the theatre, no matter how grandly it starts, it gives judgment always for the writer as against the actor and in a flood of literary concerns, politics, religion, philosophy, and social theories manages to create the impression that the actor is a mouthpiece for the author’s lines."
I was wondering if anyone might know which "Ward" and what book he's referring to. I haven't been able to track it down.

Cheers!