[Candrama] CFP - Between Performance & the Health/Social Sciences Seminar

Julia Gray jgray at hollandbloorview.ca
Mon Dec 10 19:05:18 EST 2018

Call for Participants

Between Performance & the Health/Social Sciences Seminar

Canadian Association of Theatre Research / L’association canadienne de la recherche théâtrale
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
June 3 – 6, 2019

We invite paper proposals to consider the ways performance-based scholars and practitioners engage beyond our disciplinary borders with the health and social sciences.  This seminar responds to calls to consider the ways we might better rise to the challenge of cross-paradigmatic and -disciplinary projects and expectations. Through this seminar we will explore the ways: 1) performance-based onto-epistemologies are often different from and in tension with the social and health sciences, and what that means for engaging methodologically, and 2) graduate students and emerging scholars might be trained beyond traditional silo-ed approaches, to support interdisciplinarity.

Our seminar will involve: members of the group sharing drafts papers (submitted 6 weeks before CATR); on-line discussion of drafts, including overlaps and new areas to explore (completed 2 weeks before CATR); CATR meeting, including brief presentations and discussion.

Possible areas of interest:

-          Socially-engaged, applied and/or therapeutic theatre/dance/performance practices

-          Theatre/dance/performance methods and/or theories to explore or frame social/health  scientific research

-          Scientific theories and/or methods to explore or frame theatre/dance/performance practices and research

-          Points of tension, hierarchies and structures of accountability between theatre/dance/performance and the social/health sciences

-          Cross-overs between qualitative research and performance-based approaches (i.e.  performance and dance ethnographies); and/or the emerging relationship between  post-qualitative and arts/humanities approaches to research

Interested participants should submit a paper proposal (approximately 250-300 words), and a short professional bio (75-100 words; please submit to Julia Gray (jgray at hollandbloorview.ca<mailto:jgray at hollandbloorview.ca>) and Catherine Graham (grahamca at mcmaster.ca<mailto:grahamca at mcmaster.ca>) by January 31, 2019. Auditors are welcome at CATR conference meeting.

Julia Gray, PhD

SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow

The Critical Disability and Rehabilitation Studies Lab (CDARS<http://research.hollandbloorview.ca/ResearchCentresLabs/CDARSLab>)

Bloorview Research Institute

Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital

Email: jgray at hollandbloorview.ca<mailto:jgray at hollandbloorview.ca>

Twitter: @PossibleArts

Current Book: ReView: an anthology of plays committed to social justice<https://www.amazon.com/ReView-Anthology-Committed-Justice-Fictions/dp/9463008195/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482346051&sr=8-1&keywords=review+julia+gray>
Confidentiality Notice:
E-mail may be intercepted between the sender and the receiver and is
therefore neither secure nor confidential. Your continued use of e-mail
communication confirms that you accept this risk. If this is an urgent
matter, please contact me at the phone number provided. This e-mail,
including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain private, confidential, and privileged information. Any
are not the intended recipient or this information has been
inappropriately forwarded to you, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies of the original.