[Candrama] CATR2018 keynote and press presentations live streaming on HowlRound.tv

Jenn Stephenson jenn.stephenson at queensu.ca
Wed May 23 08:50:57 EDT 2018

Hello CANdrama!

Even if you are not able to attend the CATR2018 conference in person in Kingston next week, you can still be there virtually. We are live streaming three of our plenary sessions in conjunction with Howlround.tv. Please do check out these events.

Follow this link for programming details:
http://howlround.com/livestreaming-the-canadian-association-for-theatre-research-2018-conference-at-queens-university-in

Livestream Schedule:

Keynote by Dr Dolleen R. Tisawii’ashii Manning: “Reverberating Frequencies—Embodied Ciphers”
Tuesday 29 May 2018
9:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. EDT (Toronto/ Montréal/ New York, UTC -4) /  8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. CDT (Chicago) / 6:30 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. PDT (San Francisco)

[dr dolleen r tisawii'ashii manning headshot]

For CATR2018, Manning draws connections between her research on Anishinaabe ontology with its emphasis on the living agency inherent to all of existence, including not only humans, but also plants and animals—swimmers, flyers, crawlers, two leggeds and four leggeds—as well as inanimate ‘objects’ such as rocks along with invisible and intangible energies such as thunder, to conceptualize consciousness attenuated through these mnidoo interchanges. Dialoguing with human and other-than-human relations through flexible being-in-world-in-community, Anishinaabeg interact collaboratively with manidoog (most often translated as spirits but perhaps more accurately might be understood as potency, potential, process or energy) as animate potentialities. She asks how we might tap into these frequencies that are hidden within us—the Anishinaabe—preserved in our bodies, echoed in the cadence, rhythm, and intonation of our speech, in our everyday practices, gestures, and bodily comportment to more fully appreciate this relation of being caught up together as a dynamic vibrational confluence.

Playwrights Canada Press presentation
Tuesday 29 May
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EDT (Toronto/ Montréal/ New York, UTC -4) / 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. CDT (Chicago) / 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. PDT (San Francisco)

[http://howlround.com/sites/default/files/styles/body_large/public/book%20covers.png?itok=ZQDE1xVO]

 Playwrights Canada Press, the country’s foremost publisher of theatre books, presents their spring books with this special launch presentation. Featuring: Len Falkenstein, author of Lac/Athabasca; Anna Chatterton, Evalyn, Parry, and Karin Randoja, aka The Independent Aunties, the writers of Gertrude and Alice; Moynan King, editor of Queer/Play: An Anthology of Queer Women’s Performance and Plays; and Roberta Barker, the general editor of Q2Q: Queer Canadian Theatre and Performance. The authors and editors will present, read, and/or host Q&As.

Writing across Difference: King Arthur’s Night and Peter Panties — Niall McNeil and Marcus Youssef - Presentation by Talonbooks
Wednesday 30 May
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EDT (Toronto/ Montréal/ New York, UTC -4) / 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. CDT (Chicago) / 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. PDT (San Francisco)

 [http://howlround.com/sites/default/files/styles/body_large/public/McNeil_Niall.jpg?itok=jLW7qn5j]

Niall McNeil and Marcus Youssef talk about and show examples of their groundbreaking writing process and the unique way that they work together. This 10-year writing collaboration has produced two major new works: Peter Panties and King Arthur’s Night, recently published by Talonbooks. King Arthur’s Night features an intersectional ensemble of performers with and without Down syndrome and is the product of a four-year partnership between Neworld Theatre and the Down Syndrome Research Foundation of BC. It premiered in 2017 at the Luminato Festival and the National Arts Centre and was most recently seen at Vancouver’s PuSh Festival.

About HowlRound TV
HowlRound TV is a global, commons-based peer produced, open access livestreaming and video archive project stewarded by the nonprofit HowlRound<http://howlround.com/about>. HowlRound TV is a free and shared resource for live conversations and performances relevant to the world's performing arts and cultural fields. Its mission is to break geographic isolation, promote resource sharing, and to develop our knowledge commons collectively. Participate in a community of peer organizations revolutionizing the flow of information, knowledge, and access in our field by becoming a producer and co-producing with us. Learn more by going to our participate page<http://howlround.com/participate>. For any other queries, email tv at howlround.com<mailto:tv at howlround.com>, or call Vijay Mathew at +1 917.686.3185 Signal/WhatsApp. View the video archive<http://howlround.com/search?f%5b0%5d=field_post_type%3A355> of past events.

Jenn Stephenson
Professor and Chair of Undergraduate Studies
Dan School of Drama and Music
Queen’s University

Editor-in-Chief, Canadian Theatre Review

Phone | 613-533-6000 x78597
Email | jenn.stephenson at queensu.ca<mailto:jenn.stephenson at queensu.ca>
Twitter | @queensjenn
Blog | realtheatre.blog