[Candrama] Call for Proposals: GENesis 2020 Toronto

Xing Fan stars.fan at utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 10 20:22:56 EST 2019

Hello,

I wish to post the following message to all the list members.  Please let me know if I may provide further info.  Thank you.

======

Call for Proposals | GENesis 2020 Toronto | May 18-24, 2020
Deadline to submit: January 20, 2020
Theatre Centre (1115 Queen St W) | Toronto, Canada

fu-GEN Theatre, Canada’s premiere Asian Canadian Theatre Company, invites proposals for GENesis 2020, our second conference and festival on Asian Canadian theatre. Founded in 2002, fu-GEN is devoted to providing a home for the Asian Canadian theatre artist, nurturing their voices, and producing works of the highest artistic caliber that explore the Asian Canadian experience. In 2010, we hosted the first ever conference on Asian Canadian theatre, bringing together the two vital practices of performance and research.

In May 2020, we will be hosting GENesis 2020, a conference and festival with the theme: THE NEXT WAVE, a reflection of the last decade of Asian Canadian performance and research, a critical look at our present moment and a glimpse of what lies ahead. This conference and festival will feature artistic presentations and performances in the evenings, and paper presentations, panels, and round tables in the daylight hours.

GENesis 2020 welcomes proposals from theatre and performance scholars, critics, and creators, for inclusion in our 2020 Conference. We are looking for engagements with the broad spectrum of Asian-ness (including but not limited to Pan-Asia Pacific, South Asia, Western Asia and the Middle East, and Pacific Islanders), and our relationship to the theatre and the theatrical. We welcome proposals that explore the wide range of contemporary practice/performance, intersectional identities, and historical impact. More specifically, we are interested in how Asian performance artists are engaging with an ever-evolving landscape of social change in Canada. We invite papers that speak to the intersections of Asian performance and colonialism/imperialism, climate change, and/or shifting political landscapes. We hope to shape a complex tool-set for practitioners and researchers that extend the discussions begun at our 2010 conference, and to continue forging forward for another ten years.

We invite a range of proposals, including:
• Academic papers
• Panel conversations (please include a list of panelists and their affiliations)
• Workshops (60 – 90 minutes in duration)
• Innovative presentations

Those wishing to participate in GENesis 2020 should submit their abstract (maximum 250 words) to http://link.fu-gen.org/3d1 (requirements listed on submission page)

Please submit by January 20, 2020. Accepted proposals will be notified by February 21, 2020. For more information or questions, email submissions at fu-gen.org with the subject heading “GENesis 2020”

Please indicate if you will be requesting travel/accommodation support in the online form above.  We will be able to, on a competitive basis, cover travel expenses and accommodation for select participants, based on need.  Graduate and undergraduate students with no department funding will be prioritized.
=========

Xing Fan
Associate Professor of Asian Theatre and Performance Studies
Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
University of Toronto