[Candrama] Candrama submission

Lisa Aikman lisa.aikman at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 9 13:05:13 EDT 2019

The Gatherings Partnership would like to draw peoples' attention to the following call for expressions of interest:

THE ARCHIVE & THE NORTH: A WORKSHOP ON PRACTICE, POLICY & STRATEGY CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

There are multiple Norths, each with similar but distinct relationships between communities, landscapes, climate, and outside forces. Within these Norths, archives serve as vital institutions. Northern communities have championed the safe-guarding of knowledge and memory since long before recent surges in scholarly interest and the professionalization of archival practice. However, the opportunities and questions facing archival institutions in the North have never been greater than they are today. The climate crisis, uneven development, and migration are only some of the factors that have highlighted the fundamental importance of archives in the North, and the advancement of Truth and Reconciliation with Indigenous peoples underscores the imperative to address archival functions and structures as reflections of cultural communities. There is no single model for what a Northern archive is or for what its processes should be, but there is a growing understanding amongst Northern record-keepers and repositories that the time has come for Northern archives to lead this discussion, together. Set in Labrador, Canada, which lays within the North, this workshop aims to be a large-scale meeting of record-keepers from Northern communities, as well as representatives of archival institutions who have histories of meaningful Northern partnerships. We invite participants from all Northern regions and countries. Possible points of departure for our workshop include: - the historical phenomenon of the archive and the archivist - possibilities, effects, consequences and fears of digital formats - access, intellectual property and ownership - cultural appropriation and archival practice - Indigenous and Settler archives? - policy and governance - Northern/Southern archives - archival development as economic development - the implementation of the Calls to Action #69 and #70 by Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada.

 ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
The organizing committee is made up of representatives from the Labrador Institute of Memorial University, the OKâlaKatiget Society, Nunatsiavut Government and Library & Archives Canada. PROPOSED DATE & LOCATION Spring 2020 at Labrador Institute of Memorial University, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada for the main body of the conference. We are exploring the possibility of offering additional events after the conference in other regions of Labrador.

SUBMISSIONS OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
At the very least, we are looking for expressions of interest that indicate your interest in participating in this event along with any organizational affiliation and community identification. Expressions of interest may also speak to issues such as: - ways to structure our workshop - thematic points of departure that may be missing - financial considerations for travelling to this event We request that anyone interested in participating please submit their expression of interest to northernarchivesworkshop at gmail.com no later than 30 September 2019.

Lisa Aikman
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Toronto
Managing Editor, Theatre Research in Canada