[Candrama] Atlantic Canada Oral History Symposium

Lisa Aikman lisa.aikman at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 11 17:29:49 EDT 2019

With apologies if this has been cross-posted, the Gatherings Partnership would like to draw our colleagues attention to this upcoming symposium at the University of Prince Edward Island.

THE ATLANTIC CANADA ORAL HISTORY SYMPOSIUM

The Council of Archives New Brunswick (CANB) is hosting the Atlantic Canada Oral History
Symposium (ACOHS) on November 22 and 23, 2019 at the University of Prince Edward Island in
Charlottetown, PEI. CANB is organizing the ACOHS with the support of the Council of Nova Scotia
Archives, the Association of Newfoundland and Labrador Archives, the Archives Council of Prince
Edward Island, and the University of Prince Edward Island. This symposium has been made possible by
the Government of Canada.

The purpose of the ACOHS is to build capacity among heritage professionals in Atlantic Canada in
the field of oral history. Many oral history symposiums and conferences are in major cities across
Canada and the United States and are cost-prohibitive for heritage professionals in Atlantic Canada to
attend. Our vision for the ACOHS is to make current thinking and trends in oral history accessible to
heritage professionals in Atlantic Canada. During the ACOHS we are looking to cover the following
topics:
 Indigenous oral history
 Acadian oral history
 Ethics and oral history
 Folklore, music, and oral history traditions in Atlantic Canada
 How to carry out an oral history project
 Oral history success stories in Atlantic Canada (lightening round)
We are still looking for speakers for the symposium. If you are interested in speaking on any of the
above topics, please contact the CANB Archives Advisor. Simultaneous translation will be available at
the ACOHS to allow presenters and attendees to participating in the symposium in the official language
of their choice.
If you are interested in presenting at or attending the ACOHS please contact the CANB Archives
Advisor at 506-453-4327 or archives.advisor at gnb.ca.

Lisa Aikman
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Toronto
Managing Editor, Theatre Research in Canada