[Candrama] CFP - Working Groups (CATR)

Erin Hurley, Prof. erin.hurley at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 15 09:59:14 EST 2020

[CALL FOR PAPERS: “Encounters between Persons and Scenography”  Scenography Working Group  Canadian Association for Theatre Research  May 25-28, 2020 in Montreal (UQAM and Concordia University)]

This year the Scenography Working Group (SWG) invites scholars, artists, and theatre educators to examine the encounters, both seen and unseen, between the person and the design in theatre and performance.

We invite proposals on a number of different perspectives under this topic, including:

•          The person and the experience of scenography

•          The hidden labour of scenography in workshops, backstage, and rehearsals

•          The foundational processes of scenography in rehearsal, training, and pedagogy

We invite proposal submissions for a number of different forms that a) explore the relationships between persons and scenography, b) focus on a case study, and c) propose a provocation for our group to think through in our meeting. Example of potential forms:

•          A working paper between of between 2000 and 3000 words

•          Pecha Kucha presentation (20 slides, 20 seconds of commentary per slide), please have your commentary also available as a separate text for accessibility purposes

•          Photo Essay with accompanying text

•          Brief video (no longer than 7 minutes) please have your commentary also available as a separate text for accessibility purposes

Participants’ work will be circulated among SWG members prior to our meeting in May. We will assign respondents to each, and will organize the session on a series of related research questions.

The organizers of the working group will assign a reading to all participants, asking them to make connections between their contributions and the ideas, practices, and theories discussed in the reading. An initial 500-word response to this required reading will be posted to our SWG blog to stimulate the conversation and develop ideas for the submission to the group. All contributions will be posted to a secure website in advance of the conference for viewing by participants and registrants.

While observers are welcome, our meeting will be focused on discussions and provocations developed from the participants’ submissions.

SWG wishes to generate year-round exchanges between theatre academics and theatre designers. We encourage established and emerging scholars, as well as artists in various stages of their career to submit contributions to this year’s meeting. The area of research is not restricted to a particular time or place.

Proposals are due February 17th 2020. Please send initial proposals of no more than 250-words along with a brief biography of 50 words, to catrscenography at gmail.com<mailto:catrscenography at gmail.com> Attn Dr. Natalie Rewa, Dr. Jacquey Taucar, and Dr. Gabrielle Houle. Copy in the body of the email, please.

[Call for Participants: On-Campus Production Peer Review Working Group Canadian Association for Theatre Research  May 25-28, 2020 in Montreal (UQAM and Concordia University)]

2020 CATR in Montreal will be the final ensemble of the On-Campus Production Peer Review Working Group. We have been meeting in various incarnations since 2013 in Victoria to discuss and debate the value and purpose of on-campus theatre production. To conclude our explorations and discourse on this topic we invite scholars, artists and theatre educators to consider the place of peer review in twenty-first century theatre/performance/scenographic studies--its purpose, form, function and facilitation. Selected participants will submit forum length working papers of no more than 1500 words that explore how peer review might allow, constrain and challenge our notions and value of live performance on-campus.

Prospective participants are asked to submit an abstract of no more than 250 words before March 1, 2020 to clairecarolan at icloud.com.<mailto:clairecarolan at icloud.com>

[Call for Participants  Canadian Soundings: Plumbing the Depths of Voice in Canadian Theatre Canadian Association for Theatre Research  May 25-28, 2020 in Montreal (UQAM and Concordia University)]
Working Group Leader: Michael Elliott (University of Victoria), michaelelliott at uvic.ca<mailto:michaelelliott at uvic.ca>

Collaborator: Sasha Kovacs (University of Victoria), alexandrakovacs at uvic.ca<mailto:alexandrakovacs at uvic.ca>

In nautical terms, a sounding is used to determine the depth of water under a ship. This working group takes inspiration from this marine procedure to locate the deep histories of the voice in Canadian performance, and to explore how vocal practices and innovations impact and intersect with the buoyancy of certain habits, historiographies, and traditions in the Canadian theatre.

Building on the success of the curated panel discussion at the CATR conference in 2019 and responding to the current research that situates the voice as a subject of critical inquiry in theatre studies (Magnat, 2019; Thomaidis, 2017; Smith 2017; Pascoe 2011), this working group aims to examine the history of voice and voice training in the Canadian theatre, with a view to chart the course that brought us to our current position and propose possible streams forward.

We invite membership to this group from scholars, artists, and educators that would like to deepen the understanding of voice as a central conduit for the charting of Canadian theatre’s past, present, and future. Potential group members are invited to submit an approximately 500-word discussion paper reflecting on how their research, creative activity, or teaching encounters and approaches the subject of voice in Canadian theatre, as well as an approximately 250-word bio. Please email these materials to Michael Elliott, Working Group Leader: michaelelliott at uvic.ca<mailto:michaelelliott at uvic.ca>

[Call for participants: Moving Together to Reclaim and Resist Canadian Association for Theatre Research  May 25-28, 2020 in Montreal (UQAM and Concordia University)]

Please join us for Moving Together to Reclaim and Resist, a CATR working group dedicated to Indigenous performance on Turtle Island. MTRR marries a forum to connect Indigenous and settler scholars/artists with the conference’s recent tradition of offering a “walking” (or moving) group that enables participants to physically embody their land acknowledgement. MTRR aims to advance and interrogate the emergent body of work surrounding:

•          Indigenous dramaturgies

•          the performance of resistance, resurgence, and redress

•          performance-making processes that feature conciliation

•          Indigenous performance and Performance Studies

•          Indigenous research methodologies and the Western Academy

•          the affective labour of Indigenous women in performance-making processes

•          casting, cultural appropriation, and ethnic fraud

We seek scholars and/or artists at any point in their careers interested in contributing to this three-year working group, which will reflect Indigenous protocols and epistemologies. For the first of its two 2020 conference sessions, MTRR will meet outdoors, moving over the land and pausing to hear its stories. To do so, we will follow relationship-based protocols of engagement with community, offering welcome to local Elders and Knowledge Keepers. All CATR/SQET participants will be welcomed to the initial session, which will highlight original place names and be conducted in English and French. In a second session, group members will meet outdoors, to reflect on the walking practice and discuss their formal submissions. These submissions, received one month prior to the conference and posted in a private group online, will draw on the research topics listed above and the conference’s theme. Submissions formatted in a way that resists Western academic norms will be encouraged (including those that incorporate storytelling, performance, photography, textile art, etc.). Short essays (approx. 2000 words) written in English or French will also be accepted. These submissions will fuel a curated discussion in Montreal.

Interested participants should email 250-word proposals to Jenn Cole (jenncole at trentu.ca) and Melissa Poll (melissa_poll at sfu.ca) by Feb. 15.

--
Erin Hurley
Professor, Department of English, McGill University

McGill University is located on land which has long served as a site of meeting and exchange amongst Indigenous peoples, including the Haudenosaunee and Anishinabeg nations. McGill honours, recognizes and respects these nations as the traditional stewards of the lands and waters on which we meet today.
L’Université McGill est sur un emplacement qui a longtemps servi de lieu de rencontre et d’échange entre les peuples autochtones, y compris les nations Haudenosaunee et Anishinabeg. McGill honore, reconnaît et respecte ces nations à titre d’intendant traditionnel des terres et de l’eau sur lesquelles nous nous réunissions aujourd’hui.