[Candrama] ATHE 2024 Virtual Roundtable CFP: Unveiling Queer Archives (Submissions Due May 1)

Benjamin Gillespie benjamin.a.gillespie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 10:38:31 EDT 2024

***Call for Participants: ATHE 2024 Virtual Roundtable***

*Unveiling Queer Archives: Narratives, Legacies, Histories*

*Organizers: Benjamin Gillespie, Kelly I. Aliano, Bess Rowen*Sponsored by
the LGBTQ+ Focus Group* *

This session will delve into the complexities of unveiling and preserving
the queer past as part of ATHE’s larger theme on “revisioning the story.”
Our exploration will encompass the narratives that shape our identity, the
construction of queer legacies in theatre and performance histories, and
the pivotal role that archives including theatres, museums, and embodied
memory play in this endeavor. This will be a rich and inclusive dialogue
that seeks to unravel the layers of our LGBTQ+ past, understand the
complexities of legacy, and redefine the role of archives in shaping our
collective narrative. Examining the unique value of individual stories
within the broader historical context, we challenge the imperative toward
historical linearity in favor of acknowledging the diverse perspectives
available within queer narratives and intergenerational community exchange
for LGBTQ+ people. We also explore the role of education and pedagogy
within the framing of queer narratives, legacies, and histories. Lastly, we
will explore the connections between aging and archive, addressing the
challenges and opportunities in capturing the breadth of an artist’s career
from a “long” perspective of queer art/life as captured in the physical and
living archives.

*Interested participants might consider the following questions :*

   - *What constitutes a queer archive and how should it be curated?*
   - *How do we effectively tell the stories of the queer past?*
   - *What is the significance of creating a legacy through these
   narratives?*
   - *What role should archives play in preserving and presenting these
   stories?*
   - *How do we see queer time and queer failure playing into the
   construction of the queer archive?*
   - *How does time impact the commemoration of artists whose work spans
   decades?*
   - *How can we make sure that many voices are heard through the
   (re)telling or teaching of history?*
   - *How do artists also engage as teachers of their own archives?*
   - *How does aging impact legacy and the archive?*

*Roundtable Format: *This session will take the form of a 90-minute virtual
roundtable discussion on Zoom. We invite individual proposals from
interested participants that explore themes of the queer archive, history,
legacy, pedagogy, and education. The discussion will focus on the
intersection of teaching as a form of legacy and explore its relationship
to archival practices.

*Submission Guidelines: *We are seeking individuals who would like to
engage in dialogue surrounding the themes/questions listed above. There
will not be any formal research presentations for this roundtable. Instead,
each accepted speaker will have 5 minutes to offer reflections on one or
more of the questions.

***Interested individuals should send a proposal of no more than 300 words
explaining how and in what ways they wish to engage one or more of the
offered questions. Proposals should articulate which theme(s) resonate and
provide an overview of how you might want to direct the discussion. Include
key examples and/or case studies you wish to discuss, texts you think are
worth considering as framework, and/or your own reflections and
(kel.irene.aliano at gmail.com <kel.irene.aliano at gmail.com>) by 11:59pm EST on
May 1st. Participants will be notified of acceptance status by May 15th.
All participants must register for ATHE by June 30th.*