Latin Reading Group

Shannon Dea sjdea at watarts.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 8 16:20:51 EDT 2008

Dear Arts Faculty and Staff members,

Last year, faculty members and students from the Department of Philosophy
formed a Latin Reading Group (LRG).  Throughout the winter term, the group
had weekly hour-long meetings, in which it began to work through a 16th
century Logic text, *Dialecticae*, by Petrus Ramus (Pierre Ramée), a
prominent French anti-Aristotelian who was killed in the St. Bartholomew's
Day Massacre.  Ramus is known for his elegant, humanistic Latin, and was
influential in his time, although he is little remembered today.  For
information on
Ramus, see http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12638b.htm.  The version of
*Dialecticae
*that we are using is the 1672 Cambridge edition with commentary by
Guilielmus Amesius, available online at
http://eebo.chadwyck.com/search/full_rec?ACTION=ByID&SOURCE=pgimages.cfg&ID=V63651.
You can also access this link by logging on to UW ACE and searching under
"Groups" for "Latin Reading Group."

This fall, we shall resume our reading of this text.  If you are interested
in joining the Latin Reading Group, please contact me (by email or at the
extension below) at your earliest convenience and let me know which
days/times you are able to meet.  The group includes members with various
degrees of Latin proficiency (so, even if you haven't studied Latin since
high school, there's a place for you in the LRG).  Please pass this
invitation on to any of your colleagues or students whom you think may be
interested in taking part.

Best wishes,
Shannon Dea

 --
Assistant Professor and Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies
Department of Philosophy