Opportunity to participate in a survey re: Community Service Learning: Message from Clara Bird

Lynne Jelokhani-Niaraki lynnejn at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 16 13:03:54 EDT 2009

(The message sent earlier today had a faulty link; this is a revised
message.)

Greetings,

CSL at UW (Community Service Learning at the University of Waterloo) is a
research group exploring community-engaged learning on campus and in the
broader community. We are conducting an ethics approved research project in
partnership with the K-W community and other educational institutions
entitled Learning to Serve, Serving to Learn: Community Service Learning at
the University of Waterloo and in the Broader Community. The lead
investigator is Dr. Diana Denton in Communication, Leadership, and Social
Innovation in the Faculty of Arts. Please see the attached General
Information form for more details into our research.

The ultimate purpose of this study is to propose a Community Service
Learning (CSL) model for the University of Waterloo. This model would aid
the university in designing effective ways to work with the community to
deliver deeply engaging learning experiences for students as well as
capacity-building services for the community.
In order to propose a model that best reflects the university and the
community, we seek to capture past, present and future CSL related
activities on campus. This email is to invite you to complete a short
4-question survey. This should take less than 5 minutes of your time. If you
prefer not to complete the survey on the web, please contact us and we will
make arrangements to provide you another method of participation. If you are
interested in proceeding, please fill out the attached consent form and send
it back to cbird at uwaterloo.ca

If you wish to participate, please visit the study website at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=_2bH6FXLNshRwO3kth1pmxIA_3d_3d

We thank you very much in advance for taking the time to fill out our
questionnaire. If you have any questions about CSL and community-engaged
learning please feel free to contact us at phone or email addresses listed
below.

This study has been reviewed and received ethics clearance through the
Office of Research Ethics at the University of Waterloo. However, the final
decision about participation is yours. If you have any comments or concerns
resulting from your participation in this study, please feel free to contact
Dr. Susan Sykes, Director, Office of Research Ethics, at 1-519-888-4567 ext.
36005 or by email at ssykes at uwaterloo.ca .

If you have any questions regarding this study, or would like additional
information to assist you in reaching a decision about participation, please
contact me at cbird at uwaterloo.ca. You can also contact the lead
investigator, Professor Diana Denton at 519-888-4567 ext. 32153 or email
ddenton at uwaterloo.ca.

Regards,

Clara Bird

--