UW Fine Arts presents MFA Thesis 1 opening Thursday April 12, 5-8 pm

Jurakic, Ivan ijurakic at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 9 15:42:15 EDT 2012

University of Waterloo Department of Fine Arts Presents
MFA Thesis 1

April 12–28, 2012
Opening Reception: Thursday, April 12 from 5:00–8:00 pm

Gallery One
Linda Martinello
Four Corners Gateway

My landscapes are imbued with the power of history, myth and memory, embracing both the real and the unreal. This body of work is based upon my recollections of ancient sites that are in themselves composites, constructed fantasies. Existing somewhere between drawing and painting, these works embody signs of familiarity yet never quite come into focus. Through a process of contemplation and controlled responses to my notes and documentation, the representational and abstract information that I have gathered is filtered to create a world that is a meticulous and yet chaotic reinvention of my memory of sites and places that I have visited.

Linda Martinello is a multidisciplinary painter and installation artist completing her MFA at the University of Waterloo. She received her BA Honours from the University of Toronto. As a recipient of the Keith & Winifred Shantz Internship Award in Fine Arts she apprenticed with artist Denyse Thomasos in New York City. She currently lives and works in Toronto and Waterloo, Ontario. www.lindamartinello.com

Gallery Two
Joshua Peressotti
Uncontrollable Beauty

My painting practice examines accepted notions of beauty and taste within contemporary western culture. I sample and remix a variety of strategies derived from both aesthetic discourse and consumer culture in order to produce artworks that purport to be "truly beautiful". The conceptual basis of this body of work is predicated upon the connotations behind the ideology of "decorativeness" espoused by the late critic Clement Greenberg. In creating a suite of paintings using prescriptive colour palettes available from consumer paint manufacturers, my work questions the notion of good taste and suggests that beauty is a cultural construction.

Joshua Peressotti is a multidisciplinary artist completing his MFA at the University of Waterloo. He received his BFA from NSCAD University and a Fine Arts Diploma from Fanshawe College. As a recipient of the Keith & Winifred Shantz Internship Award in Fine Arts he apprenticed with Angela de la Cruz in London, UK. He currently lives and works in Waterloo, ON. www.joshuaperessotti.com

UWAG
University of Waterloo Art Gallery
East Campus Hall | ECH 1239
519.888.4567 ext. 33575
uwag.uwaterloo.ca

Hours
Tuesday–Saturday 12:00–5:00 pm
or by appointment

Contact
Ivan Jurakic, Director / Curator
519.888.4567 ext. 36741
ijurakic at uwaterloo.ca

Driving
263 Phillip Street, Waterloo, ON
-Located in East Campus Hall on Phillip Street off University Avenue West, behind University Plaza
-Use South entrance to ECH across from Engineering 6

Parking
Limited meter parking is available behind ECH
Visitor Parking is available in Lot E6, E5 or Lot B after 3:45 pm
http://www.uwaterloo.ca/map/index.php

Mailing
University of Waterloo Art Gallery
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1

Images (from left to right): Linda Martinello, Triple Cave Catwalk (detail), 2012. Joshua Peressotti, Homage-to-Behr (detail), 2012. Images courtesy of the artists.