Susan Musgrave reads 24 Jan! Nora Gould and Anne Michaels coming up...

Tristanne Connolly tristanne.connolly at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 16 11:57:34 EST 2013

Hello, friends,

The Reading Series at St Jerome's starts off strong in winter term, with three amazing women writers in three weeks!
Susan Musgrave -- Thursday, 24 January, 8pm, STJ 3014
Nora Gould -- Thursday, 31 January, 4:30pm, STJ 3014
Anne Michaels -- Wednesday, 6 February, 4:30pm, STJ 3027
Please join us, and please spread the word! As always, thanks to the Canada Council and to St Jerome's, the readings are free and all are welcome.

More about the authors:

Susan Musgrave’s latest poetry collection is Origami Dove (M&S, 2011). A new novel, Given, has recently been published (Thistledown) and two books for children (Orca) are on their way too. She has published over twenty-five books and has received awards in poetry, fiction, non-fiction, personal essay, children’s writing and for her work as an editor. We are very happy to welcome Susan, a former Writer-in-Residence, back to St. Jerome’s for this event.

Nora Gould writes from east central Alberta where she ranches with her family and volunteers in wildlife rehabilitation with the Medicine River Wildlife Centre. She graduated from the University of Guelph with a degree in veterinary medicine. I see my love more clearly from a distance is her first poetry collection. In 2009 Nora Gould won the Banff Centre Bliss Carman Poetry Award. Nora Gould comes to us with the generous support of Brick Books. Thank you, Brick!

Anne Michaels is an award-winning poet and novelist. Her first novel, Fugitive Pieces (1996),  was not only nominated for the Giller Prize, but also won the Trillium Prize, the Chapters/Books in Canada First Novel Award, The Beatrice and Martin Fischer Award (the main prize in the Jewish Book Awards), and England's prestigious Orange Prize. Previous to this success, she won the Commonwealth Prize for the Americas for the collection The Weight of Oranges (1986) and the Canadian Authors Association Award for Miner's Pond (1991). In 2007, Fugitive Pieces was made into a film. Her most recent novel is 2009’s The Winter Vault.

For more information about the Reading Series, please visit our blog, <http://canlitkicksass.blogspot.com> canlitkicksass.blogspot.com
We acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, which last year invested $154 million to bring the arts to Canadians throughout the country.
Nous remercions le Conseil des arts du Canada de son soutien. L’an dernier, le Conseil  a investi 154 millions de dollars pour mettre de l’art dans la vie des Canadiennes et des Canadiens de tout le pays.