Monday: How to talk to the media - 9:30-11, HH 373

Angela Roorda aroorda at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Mar 14 14:19:01 EDT 2014

Don't forget....

How to talk to the media

Monday March 17, 9:30-11 (HH373)

This fourth event in our "Moving your Research in New Directions Series" focuses on media (and public) engagement.  Why (and when) is it important for researchers to communicate with the public via the media?  How does one get started (or get "discovered") as an area expert?  How does the media interview process work, exactly. And what are some tips for what to do (and maybe not do) when faced with a microphone?  We've assembled five Arts researchers with experience in the world of TV, radio, and print media to share their stories and insights.  Colin Ellard (Psychology), Aimee Morrison (English), Veronica Kitchen (Political Science) , Emmett Macfarlane (Political Science), and Lorne Dawson (Sociology) will also be joined by Nick Manning, Director of Waterloo's Media Relations and Issue Management, who will point us to some of the internal procedures and supports available to researchers wishing to engage the public in this way.

If you're interested in attending what will no doubt be a very interesting and useful session, please RSVP Angela (aroorda at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:aroorda at uwaterloo.ca>).  Pass this invitation on also to any interested grad students.

Angela Roorda, PhD
Arts Research Development Officer
PAS 2432, University of Waterloo
519-888-4567 ext 37153