Pedagogy Picnics resume next Thursday (apologies for cross-posting)

Shannon Dea sjdea at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 7 14:19:34 EST 2014

Dear colleague,

I am writing to invite you to attend in Faculty of Arts Pedagogy Picnics.

Pedagogy Picnics are brown-bag lunches at which you can share questions and
tips about teaching and learning -- and get a glimpse at some of your
colleagues' teaching and learning approaches. I first held Pedagogy Picnics
during my first term (2012-2013) as Faculty of Arts Teaching Fellow. After
a year's break while I was overseas on sabbatical, I will resume the the
series starting next Thursday, Nov. 13.

For the duration of this academic year, we'll have Pedagogy Picnics once or
twice a month on Thursdays, 12-1 in HH 335.

Here are the first few topics:

·         November 13: Marking and grades

·         December 4: Instructors’ career stage: what difference does it
make?

·         January 15: What do you need (from others) to succeed as an
instructor?

·         February 6: Authentic assessment

·         February 26: Teaching inclusively

Pedagogy Picnics are also scheduled for March 19 and April 16, topics to be
determined based on instructors’ interests.

You may attend just one or two Pedagogy Picnics, or the whole series. And,
you should feel warmly encouraged to bring a colleague.

For next Thursday's session on marking and grades, if you have rubrics or
similar that you use for grading that you would like to share with
colleagues, please bring it along. (There's a photocopier down the hall;
I'll be happy to make copies for people.) However, you needn't bring
anything other than your lunch and your curiosity.

Hope to see you there!

All best,

Shannon Dea

Arts Teaching Fellow

--

Secretary-Treasurer, Charles Sanders Peirce Society
Associate Professor