The Amish Production

Janelle Rainville jrainville at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 26 11:55:05 EDT 2014

"What happens to a person when you live in a world where you can't believe anything, and the things you don't want to believe are actually true?"

green light arts, in-association with the UWaterloo Department of Drama and Speech Communication, are proud to present the Canadian premiere of THE AMISH PROJECT by Jessica Dickey, directed by Matt White, September 24 - October 5, 2014 at Studio 180 Theatre, Hagey Hall.

This marks the inaugural production for green light arts and opens their 2014-2015 Season.

        [cid:image002.jpg at 01CFD980.B634F940]

The Amish Project follows Carole Stuckey who is trying to figure out how to put her life back together after her husband Eddie opens fire on a schoolhouse full of Amish girls - killing five and paralyzing one - before taking his own life. She feels her "whole being is a rotting grave" until a remarkable thing happens: the Amish community reaches out to her. They forgive her late husband. They bring her food and sit with her. Together they work to find the strength to carry on.

Playwright Jessica Dickey offers a focused meditation on the quality of mercy as it impacts an imagined cross-section of the Pennsylvania town. This work helps guide an audience to understand, even slightly, how the choice to forgive is possible.

This is the CANADIAN PREMIERE and features one performer playing multiple roles including the gunman, his widow, two of the young victims and a pregnant Hispanic girl.  Featuring Dora-nominated actress, Amy Keating [Passion Play, Mr. Marmalade]. Directed by green light arts' Artistic Producer, Matt White [Andy Warhol presents: Valerie, Bone Cage]. Lighting Design by Dora award winner Andre Du Toit. Stage Managed by Amber Archbell. Production Managed by Alex Boxall. Produced by Carin Lowerison.

>From Director Matt White: "Dickey never lets the audience believe that forgiveness is easy nor does she teach people how to forgive. Instead, her play initiates dialogue about what it means to live a compassionate life without the need for retribution. It makes us wonder and contemplate what life would be like if we changed our behaviour - replaced revenge with empathy - let go of anger rather than let it fester. Instead of delving deeply into the killer's dark side, Dickey creates a separate narrative arc featuring a chain of the little nasty things people do to one another when they feel powerless. None of these are as gruesome as shooting a room full of girls, but they are violent verbal examples of how we attempt to aggrandize ourselves through retribution, to give ourselves power when we have none."

THE AMISH PROJECT

Sept 24 - Oct 5, 2014

Studio 180 Theatre @ University of Waterloo

Hagey Hall, 200 University Avenue

$20.00 Regular | $15.00 Student + Preview

TICKETS: www.ticketscene.ca or call 519-888-4908

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Facebook | Twitter | www.greenlight-arts.com

green light arts is a not-for-profit theatre arts company based in Waterloo Region. We are dedicated to strengthening arts and culture through high-caliber theatrical work and strengthening communities through arts education.