Fine 205/Drama 491: Drama & Desire: Art, Theatre and Modernity, 1850-1950

Juli-Ann Sannuto jsannuto at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 10 13:31:42 EST 2017

Could you please advertise this course to your department's major and minor students, on your website and info boards. Attached is a pdf of the poster.

Fine Arts and Theatre & Performance will be offering a joint course this coming Winter term:
FINE 205/DRAMA 491 Drama & Desire: Art, Theatre and Modernity
Instructors: Prof. Joan Coutu, Fine Arts and Prof. Jennifer Roberts-Smith, Theatre and Performance
Thursdays 11:30-2:20

Art and theatre were crucibles of Western modernity over the century from 1850 to 1950. Radical concepts that defined the period were expressed by artists such as Degas and by playwrights such as Strindberg. Taking major exhibitions such as Drama and Desire at the Art Gallery of Ontario (2010) and Opera: Passion, Power and Politics at the Victoria & Albert Museum (2017) as our starting place, this course explores the ways that art and theatre from this period continue to influence our understanding of what it means to be “modern” in the 21st century.

Enroll through Quest or contact Karin Staley  karin.staley at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:karin.staley at uwaterloo.ca>  or Ceylan Turkeri  cturkeri at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:cturkeri at uwaterloo.ca>

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D35A27.9E2251B0]

Karin Staley
Undergraduate Coordinator and Advisor
Fine Arts and Visual Culture
University of Waterloo
karin.staley at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:karin.staley at uwaterloo.ca>
519-888-4567  x 30372

Students: For faster assistance, please always include your student ID and use your uWaterloo email account. Please be aware your email addresses have changed to  @edu.uwaterloo.ca

The Faculty of Arts acknowledges that we are living and working on the traditional territory of ‎the Attawandaron (also known as Neutral), Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.