UWAG presents The Closer Together Things Are opening Thur Sept 14 5-8 PM

Jurakic, Ivan ijurakic at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 12 11:51:10 EDT 2017

THE
CLOSER
TOGETHER
THINGS
ARE

Kathleen Hearn
Ève K. Tremblay
Laura Letinsky
Micah Lexier & Dave Dyment
Micah Lexier & Roula Partheniou
Rhonda Weppler & Trevor Mahovsky
Luke Painter
Chris Kline
Roula Partheniou

Co-Curated by Shannon Anderson and Jay Wilson

September 14–October 28, 2017
Opening Reception: Thursday, September 14, 5:00–8:00 PM
Curator's Tour & Publication Launch: Tuesday, October 24, 7:00 PM

The Closer Together Things Are explores the space between difference and similarity that arises from intense observation and consideration. It focuses on the proximity of time, heredity, frottage, palette, concept and presentation. Under close scrutiny, the most mundane objects and situations can compel us, drawing our full attention. The more we look, the more variations surface; differences arise from things that once seemed identical, and sameness arises from things that once seemed unrelated. This exploration of nearness guides how the artworks interact with one another through proximity, mirroring, repetition and reinterpretation. Strange bedfellows are made and unforeseen connections arise. The Closer Together Things Are takes stock of how little we need to see in order to feel like we’ve seen these things before, only this time more clearly.

Exhibition Venues: University of Waterloo Art Gallery, Waterloo, ON (September 14–October 28, 2017); Owens Art Gallery, Mount Allison University, Sackville, NB (January 12–February 21, 2018); Saint Mary’s University Art Gallery, Halifax, NS (April 7–May 27, 2018); Southern Alberta Art Gallery, Lethbridge, AB (June 29–September 2, 2018)

Please join us for this thought-provoking exhibition
Exhibitions are free and open to the public

ADMIT EVERYONE
University of Waterloo Art Gallery
East Campus Hall 1239
519.888.4567 ext. 33575
uwag.uwaterloo.ca
facebook.com/uwag.waterloo

CONTACT
Ivan Jurakic, Director / Curator
519.888.4567 ext. 36741
ijurakic at uwaterloo.ca

DRIVING
263 Phillip Street, Waterloo
East Campus Hall (ECH) is located north of University Avenue West across from Engineering 6

PARKING
Visitor Parking is available in Lot B or Q for a flat rate of $5
uwaterloo.ca/map/

MAILING
University of Waterloo Art Gallery
200 University Avenue West