Event Friday: Waterloo as a Restorative Region

Rachel Reist rreist at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Feb 5 10:29:33 EST 2018

Please join us on Friday, February 9th at 7:00pm for a special event with Chris Cowie, Executive Director of Community Justice Initiatives, talking about "Waterloo as a Restorative Region".

This event<https://uwaterloo.ca/peace-conflict-studies/events/waterloo-restorative-region> will be held at Conrad Grebel in the Great Hall (CGR 1111) and is free and open to the public.

Event Description
Community Justice Initiatives (CJI) of Waterloo Region has a long and rich history of providing restorative justice programming. CJI is credited with starting the first victim offender mediation program in 1974 and since that time have innovated restorative responses to situations of conflict, crime, and abuse.

CJI has recently begun implementing a strategy to transform our community to use restorative practices as a primary response to conflict and wrongdoing. We are working to create a restorative region where restorative practices and processes are infused into broad municipal systems that impact the entire community. To do this, CJI is influencing the systems in which we live to become restorative rather than punitive. This includes working with municipal governments, police departments, schools, retirement homes, social services, and businesses to have a discussion about restorative practices, provide training and learning opportunities about restorative practices to the public, and to assist people to utilize restorative justice in their everyday lives.

CJI is building a plan to involve community members and services to create a transformative peace initiative where instead of punishment, our community will offer restorative responses first. We hope to inspire others to become restorative regions and cities, and discuss ways to build momentum on a national level.

Please feel free to share the attached poster.

We look forward to seeing you there!
Rachel

Rachel Reist
Undergraduate Academic and Administrative Officer & Internship Coordinator
Peace and Conflict Studies
Conrad Grebel University College - University of Waterloo
140 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G6
519-885-0220 ext. 24269
CGC 2103B
rreist at uwaterloo.ca

[grebel_signature_logo]

uwaterloo.ca/pacs

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy the original message.