Waterloo Women's Wednesdays Event: Talk from Naila Keleta-Mae

Kim H Nguyen kim.h.nguyen at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 16 12:28:41 EST 2018

Dearest all:

I want to tell you all about an event involving Arts Faculty that might be of interest to our women-identified and non-binary colleagues. Our very own Naila Keleta-Mae will be speaking to Waterloo Women’s Wednesdays on November 28 (4-6 pm) in EV3 4412 and student work from Jordana Cox’s SPCOM 220 will be showcased. Come see student responses to gender equity issues and listen to Keleta-Mae’s research. Refreshments provided. See additional information below.

***
Naila Keleta-Mae will speak to us about “Canadian Theatre Made for Black Women.” For close to two decades Trey Anthony has carved out a successful career as a published and produced playwright in Canada in a national theatre scene where few playwrights enjoy sustained success. This talk will discuss how Anthony–a Black queer woman–has done so even as Canadian theatre scholars, practitioners and administrators voice perennial concerns about dwindling numbers in theatre audiences in Canada.

Per usual, our November meeting coincides with the UN’s 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence. This year’s theme is End Gender-Based Violence in the World of Work. As such, W3 also has coordinated with Jordana Cox’s SPCOM 220 course, whose student work will be displayed as a response to the UN’s theme.

Students in SPCOM 220 have spent the term thinking about how performance shapes human interaction and fuels social change. Inspired by W3, instructor Jordana Cox has invited them to imagine how performance might advance gender equity at UW. As the term draws to a close, Jordana's students will create artworks that reflect, resist, and re-imagine gender dynamics on campus.

Please join us!
--
Kim Hong Nguyen, Ph.D.<https://uwaterloo.ca/drama-speech-communication/people-profiles/kim-nguyen> (she/her, they/them)
Assistant Professor, Department of Communication Arts

I acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometers on each side of the Grand River.