Latin American Film Festival - Online screening today

Mario Boido mario.boido at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 16 11:14:22 EDT 2020

<https://vimeo.com/303428730>

Dear colleagues,

If you can't come to the Latin American Film Festival, then the Latin American Film Festival will come to you!

As we practice social distancing and prioritize the health of everyone in our communities we've moved the last screening of the Latin American Film Festival online. Please join us today (virtually!) for a screening of Rubén Blades Is Not My Name (2018). The Latin American Film Festival is organized by the Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies in collaboration with the Kitchener Public Library and the Spanish Film Club by Pragda.

Film: Rubén Blades Is Not My Name
When: ONLINE SCREENING (see below for link and password)

Free admission!

Watch the trailer here.<https://vimeo.com/303428730>

Synopsis:
Latin American icon Ruben Blades, whose “thinking man’s salsa” has earned him praise as the Bob Dylan of Latin America, was at the center of the New York Salsa revolution in the 1970’s. His socially charged lyrics and explosive rhythms brought Salsa music to an international audience. Blades has won 17 Grammys, acted in Hollywood, earned a law degree from Harvard and even run for President of his native Panama.

Featuring electrifying footage from his final tour, a lively and candid walk through his Chelsea, New York home and neighborhood, plus testimonials from such icons as Paul Simon, Sting, Francisco “Bush” Buckley, and Junot Díaz, Rubén Blades is Not My Name is a testament to a rare talent whose restless heart has indeed helped change the world.

Spanish with English subtitles, 85 min.

Learn more about the film<https://pragda.com/film/ruben-blades-is-not-my-name/>

Learn more about the Festival<https://uwaterloo.ca/spanish/news/latin-american-film-festival>

To watch the film go to https://vimeo.com/397456354 and enter the following password: Cargo0313

**Please note the link and password are valid for today only**

Hope you enjoy!

Best wishes,
Mario

Mario Boido, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies
President, Canadian Association of Hispanists
Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies
University of Waterloo
Waterloo ON
Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: 519.888.4567 ext 35621

I acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional territory of ‎ the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometers on each side of the Grand River.

(To learn more about this statement visit https://uwaterloo.ca/arts/about-arts/territorial-acknowledgement)