Fw: Black And Free - update from the Dept. of Communication Arts

Wendy Philpott wphilpott at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 29 14:10:14 EST 2021

Hello everyone,

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 the Department of Communication Arts Speakers Series Communication Speaks was scheduled to present excerpts from Dr. Naila Keleta-Mae’s Black And Free Research-Creation Project<https://uwaterloo.ca/communication-arts/events/communication-speaks-dr-naila-keleta-mae>. Even after many technical rehearsals, we ran into issues during the live broadcast that prevented the presentation being accompanied with ASL interpretation. Upon discovering the issue, Naila made the important decision to stop the broadcast. As Naila explains,

"I’ve been performing for 40 years and can’t count the number of times I’ve heard and said ‘the show must go on.’ On Wednesday night I realized that it doesn’t and decided that it won’t at any public event that my Black And Free Research-Creation Project produces, unless the event is accessible to as many people as possible.

This is my commitment as the principal investigator of publicly-funded research, as a tenured faculty member working at a publicly-funded university, and as a person who wants Black people to be free now and always. I’ll be back in touch with new event details once they’ve been decided."

On behalf of the Speakers Series Committee, we share Naila’s commitment and will continue to support her, and her Black And Free Research-Creation Project. We look forward to addressing the technical issues and announcing the new date of its presentation.

Thank you,
Department of Communication Arts
Communication Speaks
Speakers Series Committee
Dr. Sorouja Moll, Chair
Dr. David Janzen
Dr. Henry Svec
Dr. Lennart Nacke

and

Black And FreeResearch-Creation Project
Dr. Naila Keleta-Mae, Principal Investigator