FINE 282 (Fall 2022) and FINE 293/393 (Winter 2023)

Brett Roberts brett.roberts at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 25 10:39:24 EDT 2022

Niagara Falls; the ‘settling’ of the West; the Group of Seven; Emily Carr; icons of Canada.

FINE 282: Canadian Art from the 17th Century to 1940, running in Fall 2022, explores the European settler perception and experience of ‘Canada.’ We’ll look at Eurocentric perspectives of the physical environment and Indigenous peoples, and how some of these Eurocentric ‘views’ have been unsettled. Instructor: Joan Coutu. M & W 11:30-12:50; Class No: 9957.

For more information: https://uwaterloo.ca/fine-arts/sites/ca.fine-arts/files/uploads/files/fine_282.poster.fall2022.pdf

Fine Arts and Medieval Studies Travel Course

Castles: Fact and Fiction

Winter 2023

Why do castles capture our imagination? Co-taught by Joan Coutu and Tara Cooper (Fine Arts & Visual Culture), this combination travel and on-campus course will run in Winter 2023. We will spend 9 days in England (over the Reading Break, February 16-26) where we will stay in a seaside hotel and explore nearby castles. The course is about the many guises of ‘castle’ - in history, film, art, pop culture (Beauty and the Beast, Hogwarts, sandcastles, romantic castles, defensive castles, my home is my castle, etc.). The main assessment is to develop creative projects for the Ontario Grade 4 Social Studies curriculum which is about the medieval world, both in Canada and abroad.

Deposits are required by the end of September.

For more information: https://uwaterloo.ca/fine-arts/sites/ca.fine-arts/files/uploads/files/castles.course.winter2023.2-page.info_.pdf

Brett Roberts, MA (he/him)
Administrative Coordinator-Undergraduate Studies
Fine Arts, ECH 1206
University of Waterloo
https://uwaterloo.ca/fine-arts/
https://uwaterloo.ca/campus-wellness/get-mental-health-support-when-you-need-it

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River. Our active work toward reconciliation takes place across our campuses through research, learning, teaching, and community building, and is centralized within our Indigenous Initiatives Office<https://uwaterloo.ca/human-rights-equity-inclusion/indigenousinitiatives>.