5th Annual Latin American Film Festival 2023- Film Premiere

Yessenia Guerrero yguerrero at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 14 14:09:54 EDT 2023

Good afternoon all,

We are pleased to announce the start of our Fifth Annual Latin American Film Festival!

Please join us for the first film screening of The Sleepwalkers (LOS SONÁMBULOS) (Paula Hernandez / Argentina, Uruguay / 2019 / 107 min). The film will be screened in person at the Kitchener Public Library theatre (KPL Central Branch, 85 Queen Street North) on Wednesday, Sept.20 at 6:30 PM. Professor Mario Boido will provide a brief introduction to the film and lead a post-screening discussion with the audience.

Watch the trailer: https://vimeo.com/518642543

[cid:image002.png at 01D9E714.813B9C70]

About the film.  "Following the path of Lucrecia Martel's La Cienega, Paula Hernández places her film in that family reunion subgenre, focusing on the story between mother and daughter. Luisa, her husband Emilio, and their 14-year-old daughter Ana, are spending their New Year holiday visiting Emilio's mother Meme at her country house, joined by Emilio's brother and his family. Over the course of what was hoped to be a peaceful, summertime family vacation, multiple tensions - ranging from career worries to troubled adolescence, a possible selling of the house to myriad family problems - will gradually simmer into an explosion. Luisa and Ana in particular will face an awakening in the midst of a silent family crisis.
Featuring a skilled and brilliant Argentinian cast, including Erika Rivas (Wild Tales) and Luis Ziembrowski (One Love), who bring the requisite nuance and humanity to Hernandez' rich script, The Sleepwalkers is an indelible portrait of a family in crisis, where desire and expectation clash when familial pressures push women to their limits. The film builds to a violent climax, but in its aftermath, we're given the relief of knowing that, when chaos reigns, the parent-child connection at the center of this story holds."- (Miami Film Festival)
Register for the film through the KPL Registration link: https://www.kpl.org/programs-and-events/event-listing/register?&eventID=5217
For more information visit our webpage: https://uwaterloo.ca/spanish/5th-annual-latin-american-film-festival-sept20-nov14th

You won't want to miss out on this festival!

Kind regards,
Yessenia Guerrero, B.A., M.A. [A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature] <https://www.name-coach.com/yessenia-guerrero-2cccf485-f78c-46f5-9079-6f64f1004d8b>
Administrative Manager, Spanish and Latin American Studies<https://uwaterloo.ca/spanish/>
Administrative Manager, Germanic and Slavic Studies<https://uwaterloo.ca/germanic-slavic-studies/>
President Elect, University of Waterloo Staff Association<https://uwaterloo.ca/staff-association/>
University of Waterloo
Modern Languages 316
519- 888- 4567 ext.45710

Need Help? Are you or a friend in need of mental Health Support?
http://uwaterloo.ca/campus-wellness/get-mental-health-support-when-you-need-it

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River. Our active work toward reconciliation takes place across our campuses through research, learning, teaching, and community building, and is coordinated within our Office of Indigenous Relations<https://uwaterloo.ca/indigenous>.