Urgency of Social Justice event - Wed Sept 20 on Arts Quad

Richard Eibach reibach at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 18 12:09:08 EDT 2023

Dear Arts community,

Please join us for an exciting event - The Urgency of Social Justice - between 11:00am and 2:00pm on Wednesday, September 20, 2023 in and around the Arts Quad at the University of Waterloo. Eventbrite link:  bit.ly/3PuhSmO<https://t.co/OT2uUjrW8M>

The purpose is to build awareness and strengthen support for social justice activities, programs, community services, and advocacy groups at UW and in our local communities.

Activities will include short speeches and performances by students, faculty, staff, and advocates, information tables for community groups and academic programs, poster displays of research and artwork related to social justice, music by the Conrad Grebel choir, plus free food and refreshments.

We seek to foster dialogue on a range of topics including anti-racism, anti-colonialism/decolonization, gender and sexuality, class and economic inequality, immigration and refugee rights, environmental justice, cultural and religious diversity, disabilities, ageism, truth and reconciliation, restorative justice, human rights, and peace and conflict-resolution.

A flyer and slides and slides are attached. We encourage you to display these in classes or post on LEARN. Please help to get this message out.

The event is sponsored by the Gender and Social Justice program, the Office of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-racism, Faculty of Arts, and University of Waterloo

Thank you so much for joining this effort to build awareness of social justice work at UW and in our local communities.

Thank you!
Richard

Richard Eibach (he/him)

Associate Professor, Department of Psychology

Associate Dean, Undergraduate Students

Faculty of Arts

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River. Our active work toward reconciliation takes place across our campuses through research, learning, teaching, and community building, and is coordinated within the Office of Indigenous Relations<https://uwaterloo.ca/indigenous>.