March 1: Philosophy of the Field, in the Field: Reckoning with Settler Colonial Practice in Archaeology

Arts Communications artscomm at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 29 10:00:00 EST 2024

Please join the Knowledge Integration program on Friday, March 1, at 2:30pm for a talk by Alison Wylie, Philosophy of the Field, in The Field, Reckoning with Settler Colonial Practice in Archaeology<https://uwaterloo.ca/knowledge-integration/events/philosophy-field-field-reckoning-settler-colonial-practice>. There is no need to register.

WHAT: Philosophy of the Field, in the Field: Reckoning with Settler Colonial Practice in Archaeology
WHEN: Friday, March 1, 2:30-3:45pm
WHERE: EV2-2002

Recent advocates for engaged philosophy make the case that we philosophers need to “get outside more often”; alongside our sequestered, disciplinary modes of practice we should cultivate philosophical work that is, as the proponents of “Field Philosophy” put it, “practically engaged, stakeholder-centered, and timely.” This mode of practice takes a great many different forms. I will discuss three examples of field-engaged philosophy of science that address the legacies of settler-colonialism in archaeology in Canada and I ask what philosophy can contribute to decolonizing efforts.

Alison Wylie holds a Canada Research Chair in Philosophy of the Social and Historical Sciences at the University of British Columbia where she is a Professor of Philosophy.
She is the distinguished Humphrey Professor in Feminist Philosophy<https://uwaterloo.ca/philosophy/distinguished-visitors/humphrey-professorship>, an endowed position that allows a visiting scholar in feminist philosophy to spend a semester in residence at the Philosophy Department at the University of Waterloo.

This seminar will be streamed though Zoom<https://uwaterloo.zoom.us/j/91622623614?pwd=YXJDckw0TDAyNnNQa2o3RDBnVHdQdz09> if you wish to attend virtually.