Indigenous Speakers Series: Chelsea Vowel, Feb 8, Theatre of the Arts

Arts Communications artscomm at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 25 10:30:00 EST 2024

Please join the Indigenous Speakers Series on Thursday, February 8, when we are honoured to present Chelsea Vowel.

Chelsea Vowel is Métis from manitow-sâkahikan (Lac Ste. Anne) Alberta, residing in amiskwacîwâskahikan (Edmonton). She is an Associate Lecturer and Cree language instructor in the Faculty of Native Studies at the University of Alberta. Her work intersects language, gender, Métis self-determination, futurisms, and resurgence. She and her co-host Molly Swain produce the Indigenous feminist sci-fi podcast Métis in Space<https://soundcloud.com/m-tis-in-space> and co-founded the Métis in Space Land Trust<https://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/view/back-2-the-land-2land-2furious>. Her first collection of short fiction, Buffalo is the New Buffalo, was published in 2022 by Arsenal Pulp Press.

Please join us for Chelsea's engaging presentation about Indigenous Futurisms. Her talk will be followed by a Q&A moderated by Dr. Katy Fulfer.

WHEN: Feb 8, 3:00 PM

WHERE: Theatre of the Arts, ML

DETAILS and REGISTER: Visit the event page<https://uwaterloo.ca/arts/events/indigenous-speakers-series-presents-chelsea-vowel>

Registration for in-person or livestream attendance is appreciated but not required – everyone is welcome, and we especially hope you can join in-person!