Psychology Colloquium: Dr. Betsy Levy Paluck- Friday, February 2nd

Nicholas Fuller nfuller at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 31 09:06:04 EST 2024

Hello,

We are delighted to announce the Department of Psychology's next colloquium speaker, Dr. Betsy Levy Paluck<https://psych.princeton.edu/people/elizabeth-levy-paluck>. Dr. Paluck will be delivering her talk via Zoom (link below) this Friday, February 2nd. All are welcome!

Dr. Betsy Levy Paluck, Princeton University

Title: Engineering Social Change Using Social Norms

Abstract: Behavioral interventions have embraced social norms as information that can be communicated in simple messages to motivate behavior change. Work from my lab argues for the value and necessity of recognizing that social norm interventions are grounded in group processes. This approach has three major benefits that more than offset the costs of its greater theoretical and practical complexity. One, it improves the effectiveness of existing interventions, including those that target the normative beliefs of individuals. Two, it opens up new intervention strategies that broaden the range of mechanisms used to change behavior. Three, it connects research on social-norm interventions with theories and research on collective phenomena like social movements and institutional culture change.

This talk will be held on Zoom only:
https://uwaterloo.zoom.us/j/98721395279?pwd=YmxVUDJHL1JCZXNLeG9mamZzcDRIUT09
Meeting ID: 987 2139 5279
Passcode: 281370

Best,

Nick Fuller
Administrative Assistant
Department of Psychology
519-888-4567 x 40757
UW Psychology<https://uwaterloo.ca/psychology/>
@UwaterlooPsych
[cid:image001.png at 01DA5424.3F5630E0]
I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.