current production reviews

Anne Nothof annen at CS.ATHABASCAU.CA
Tue Jan 16 17:32:56 EST 1996

> Hello there in CANDRAMA silence
>
> I think this has already been tried without much success, but perhaps
> with the new year and the new planetary configuration our synergies may
> produce a more active LIST.
>
> I feel really isolated out here, far from productions anywhere. Besides
> week-old copies of the G&M, I can't get info on what's on out there across
> the country, what's interesting to see, and what's not...
>
> I think CANDRAMA would be a perfect forum for exchanging comments about
> shows seen, and for those of us out in the boonies, we could enjoy the
> theatrical experience vicariously at least. And at least learn a little
> bit about what's going on out there.
>
> When you see a show, jot down your impressions of it here, and hopefully
> there'll be some exchange of ideas...  let's give it a shot anyway,
> whaddya say??
>
> Cheerio
> Glen

An excellent idea.  It is quite amazing how little theatre information is
relayed across the country in papers and periodicals.  Even the good old CBC is
rather sporadic in its Arts Reports.  I personally am very interested in Moses'
latest play, "The Indian Medicine Show" at Passe Muraille, and Panych's Vigil
at Tarragon.  Alan Bates in "The Master Builder" at the Royal Alex also
interests me, and collectively they might even justify a ticket from Edmonton
to To.  Can anyone advise me?  Are they worth a cheap flight and an expensive
hotel room?

The PlayRites '96 plays gearing up in Calgary this year are:
"Sitting on Paradise" by Eugene Stickland
"Blowing up Toads" by Margaret Hollingsworth
"The Duchess" by Linda Griffiths
"Otherwise Bob" by Connie Gault

Gault's play is also "premiering" at Northern Light in Edmonton Jan. 23.

In the cold and under the snow,

Anne Nothof