access to archives

Alex Hawkins jhawkins at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Sat Nov 30 09:46:49 EST 1996

Kathy -
        I must say that I'm shocked at the news that the Stratford Festival
charges for the use of their archives.  However, I'm aware that the
archives that I've used over the years are either government-owned or
university-connected - the National Archives in Ottawa; the Glenbow Museum
Archives in Calgary; the University of Alberta Archives; the State
Historical Society at the University of Wisconsin - and none has ever
charged me for their use.  It may be a different story for something like
the Stratford Festival, which is after all a private outfit - however, it
still seems to me somehow wrong to charge any researcher in this way.  It
seems to me that this could have the effect of reducing the interest on the
part of scholars in the Stratford archives; however, with the fact that any
such costs could probably be reclaimed by full-time faculty members from
either travel money or professional expense allowances, it may not affect
such scholars.  But work by graduate students and sessional
teacher/scholars will certainly be adversely affected.  What with Stratford
being so important to Canadian theatre history, and the proximity of so
many post-secondary student researchers in the vicinity, it could be
disastrous for our industry.  I do think that Stratford should find a way
to supplement its income other than picking the pockets of researchers,
especially student researchers.

Alex Hawkins