Student fees to support productions

James Forsythe FORSYTHE at BRANDONU.CA
Fri Nov 20 16:13:20 EST 1998

Richard:  I appreciate your point of view.  However, please be aware that
these days it is not just theatre that can make such a claim on student fees
or administration funding.  Here at Brandon University the production
budgets of my shows are 100% funded from the box office.  But then I have to
remember that the basketball team is constantly doing things to raise money,
that the already cash strappped students pay extra for both lab courses in
science and studio courses in the school of music.  I could apply to the
student union for $500.00 if I ran my program like a Drama Club which isn't
really practical.

Working this way demands that my cast and crew are fully aware of the sense
that we are a creative community taking a risk and are not safe in some
ivory tower cocoon.  We as a Theatre Program are not getting any special
favors.  But we do have a space to rehearse and perform.  And perhaps most
important in a small school that has had its share of cutbacks we are still
here.  And I for one am glad of that. We choose our own plays and musicals.
We answer to no one but our audience.

Threats and stunts won't work here.  I can't afford to piss anybody off
because we need there ten bucks for a ticket in February.

Yours, Jim Forsythe