bens fifty cent burritos

Shawn Huffman c2164 at ER.UQAM.CA
Sun Sep 20 17:52:33 EDT 1998

Dear Howard,

I would say that the majority of the people on this list are academics.
There *are*, however, people on this list who are writers, theatre
professionals, librarians etc.  If you really want to find out who is on
the list, send a request to majordomo for the list of subscribers.

It wasn't that you last posting wasn't PC (whatever you mean by that) that
raised the ire of a few members, it was your cavalier flaming of a list
that you feel is slow (and it is) and your seeming lack of willingness to
acknowledge your part in this slowness.  One thing of which you should be
aware is that this is *not* a job information list.  There are other
places for that type of info and a couple hours in your library or on the
internet should help you find it (have you visited the Candrama web page
for example?)  This is a place for ideas, for exchange and for debate.  It
seems to me that these activities should include academics, theatre
professionals, librarians, historians, etc.  You seem to insinuate that
academics don't *do* anything.  A strange assertion from someone in a
university theatre program...  Have you ever been to a colloquuim?  Do you
know that in a good number of theatre conferences, professional actors,
writers, scenographers, costume artists etc attend, give papers, give
demonstrations, actually SHOW you what is going on in the theatre world?
In terms of not having the cash to attend, have you looked to your
university or to other possible sources of funding?  They are out there
and frankly, if you want to make a decent go of a career in theatre, you
are going to have to be a little more ressourceful.  It won't be delivered
to you, and especially not through a discussion list.

I like your expression that Candrama is a kind of promise -- you place a
lot of responsiblity on the members of Candrama to be proactive, to
discuss and promote Canadian theatre.  Other members have already pointed
out that you too are a member-- and a part of that promise.  You are
perfectly correct to criticise the silence of this list.  But use your
energy to start a debate, not to squelch it before it even gets a chance.

Shawn Huffman, self identified Academic, theatre-goer, and fan of the
creative process