Establishing Our Boundaries: English-Canadian Theatre Criticism

Anton Wagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Fri May 21 21:32:18 EDT 1999

The University of Toronto Press today published Establishing Our Boundaries: English-Canadian Theatre Criticism, edited by Anton Wagner.

The collection of essays written by 17 members of the ACTR is the first cultural history of Canada as seen through its theatre and theatre criticism over two centuries.

The first copies of the 416 page book were rushed to members of the ACTR criticism panel (Don Rubin, Patrick O'Neill, Malcolm Page, Don Perkins and Anton Wagner) who will discuss theatre criticism, past and present, at the ACTR conference at Bishop's University June 2.

The official launch of Establishing Our Boundaries will also  take place at the ACTR conference, on June 4, together with the launch of the play anthology Staging the North, edited by Sherrill Grace, Eve D'Aeth and Lisa Chalykoff, published by Playwrights Canada Press.

Two copies of Establishing Our Boundaries were won by this year's winners of the Nathan Cohen Award for Excellence in Theatre Criticism: Robert Cushman (long review category, National Post) and Kate Taylor (short review category, Globe and Mail).

The contributors and contents of the book are as follows:

Establishing Our Boundaries: English-Canadian Theatre Criticism. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999. 416 p. hard cover, $60.

Introduction:

"Establishing Our Boundaries: English-Canadian Theatre Criticism"--Anton Wagner

Editor/Critics:

"From Puffery to Criticism--William Lyon Mackenzie, Joseph Howe and Daniel Morrison: Theatre Criticism in Halifax and Toronto 1826-1857"--Patrick O'Neill

Reviewer/Critics:

"The Critic as Reviewer: E.R. Parkhurst at the Toronto Mail and Globe 1876-1924"--Ross Stuart

"The Cosmopolitan, the Cultural Nationalist and the Egocentric Critic: Harriet Walker, Charles W. Handscomb and Charles H. Wheeler in Winnipeg 1898-1906"--Douglas Arrell

Cultural Nationalism:

"Hector Willoughby Charlesworth and the Nationalization of Cultural Authority 1890-1945"--Denis Salter

"Saving the Nation's Aesthetic Soul: B.K. Sandwell at the Montreal Herald 1900-1914 and Saturday Night 1932-1951"--Anton Wagner

"Becoming Actively Creative: Dr. Lawrence Mason, The Globe's Critic 1924-1939"
--Anton Wagner

"Herbert Whittaker, Reporting From the Front: Montreal Gazette 1937-1949 and the Globe and Mail 1949-1975"--Jennifer Harvie and Richard Paul Knowles

"Criticism in a Canadian Social Context: Nathan Cohen's Theatre Criticism 1946-1971"--Don Rubin

"In Hope and Anger: Oscar Ryan at the Canadian Tribune 1955-1988" --Mayte Gómez

"The Classical Humanist: Jamie Portman at the Calgary Herald 1959-1975 and the Southam News Service 1975-1987"--Moira Day

"The Archetypal Enthusiast: Urjo Kareda at the Toronto Star 1971-1975"--Denis Johnston

"The Critic as Cultural Nationalist: Don Rubin at the Toronto Star 1968-1972 and the Canadian Theatre Review 1974-1983"--Ira Levine

The Post-Nationalist Period:

"Subverting Modernisms in B.C.: Christopher Dafoe at the Vancouver Sun 1968-1975"--James Hoffman

"Journalist or Critic?: Brian Brennan at the Calgary Herald 1975-1988"--Diane Bessai

"The Iconoclast Sceptic on the Beat: Gina Mallet at the Toronto Star 1976-1984"
--Alan Filewod

"Establishing Contact Between Two Cultures: Marianne Ackerman at the Montreal Gazette 1983-1987"--Leanore Lieblein

"Theatre: Transgression or Tribal Celebration--Ray Conlogue at the Globe and Mail 1978-1998"--Robert Nunn

Selected Bibliography:--Anton Wagner

The University of Toronto Press is extending a 20% ($12) publication discount to ACTR members for Establishing Our Boundaries. Please quote the "UTP Marketing Code 1025."

Copies of the book can be ordered from the University of Toronto Press at 1-800-565-9523 or 416-667-7791, or by mail at Orders, University of Toronto Press, 5201 Dufferin Street, North York, Ontario, M3H 5T8.

The UTP jacket for the hard cover book quotes Richard Plant on the back cover: "...I expect that this book will prove to be one of the most valuable ever made available about Canadian theatre."