Issues in Crackwalker

Monika Gay meg11 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Feb 2 09:48:48 EST 2001

Hello,

I am currently researching Thompson's Crackwalker.  Thompson has written
that the murder of Danny is based on an actual situation she encountered as
a social worker in Kingston, but I also remember a situation in Canadian
politics in the mid 1980s (?) regarding the enforced sterilization of
retarded women (people?).  Whether or not this debate informed Thompson's
writing of the play (and I have not read anything to indicate that it has),
it certainly seems to resonate with it, but I am not being successful in my
search for information.  I would appreciate any information that list
members could send to lead me in the right direction.

Please reply to meg11 at cornell.edu.  Thanks.

Monika Gay
Cornell University