Fwd: update on Endnote/Procite

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Sep 25 02:03:20 EDT 2001

F.Y.I.

(Did I miss some messages on the list?  I didn't see any mailings regrading
research tools  . . . but I just can't resist a comment nevertheless.)

By coincidence, I was just at the university computer store looking at the
bibliographic database programs.  There were three programs available:
Reference Manager, ProCite, and EndNote. From the description on the boxes,
it was hard to discern any major differences amongst them.  In fact, all
three programs are made by the same company!  Hmm.

Anyway, prices are steep so here are two things potential buyers might like
to know:

(1) go to the web site of the company and you will find a table comparing
the features of all three programs.  It's more helpful than trying to
compare the boxes!  The differences are few but they exist.  For example,
strangely, not all of them have a spell check option (though spell checkers
are usually no help with names of authors, publishers, and the like).

(2) at the company web site, you can also download a trial version of each
program to try out.

Cheers, --- Kathy.

P.S. . . . I know I didn't give the company name or web site.  It's my way
of convincing myself that I'm not promoting any particular product or
firm.  You can find it by searching the web. . . or looking at the boxes. :)