The Literary Encyclopedia / some additional information

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Thu May 12 15:34:46 EDT 2005

Dear Colleagues,

In my recent email about The Literary Encyclopedia I wrote that 108 playwrights are listed--as a start.  I should have made it clear that these playwrights are Canadian; other parts of The Encyclopedia have profiles on playwrights from other nations/regions/cultures. I should perhaps have also noted that one of the advantages in producing these profiles online is the fact that they can be revised once new information becomes available and new critical ideas are developed.  The profiles are not only of playwrights; in time, there will be detailed profiles--small but important critical studies in their own right--of individual plays.  So far, the only one to appear is Moira Day's excellent piece on Gwen Pharis Ringwood's Still Stands the House.  For the time being, this can only be accessed through the Simple Search option by using the play title as the keyword.  This is a technical problem that will soon be solved.

--Denis Salter.

--Denis Salter.

"To celebrate this award, and the work it recognizes of those around the world, let me recall the words
of Gandhi: My life is my message. Also, plant a tree."--Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel
Peace Prize.

" . . . and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning-hooks:
nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."
 Isaiah 2.4
___________________
Denis Salter
Professor of Theatre