Editing Modernism in Canada . . .

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Mon Jan 19 12:14:51 EST 2009

The Editing Modernism in Canada (EMiC) project invites you to visit our new
website at http://editingmodernism.ca

EMiC Online networks our project?s 32 participants and 33 partners from
regions across Canada and from France, England, and the United States; it also
seeks to establish new connections with other interested scholars,
institutions, and publishers.  Our participants and partners are editing and
publishing new print and digital editions of modernist Canadian texts that have
either fallen out of print or exist only in university rare-book rooms and
archives.  These texts from the early to mid-twentieth century include not only
poetry, fiction, and drama but also autobiography, correspondence, and
non-fictional prose.

The objectives of the EMiC project are:

1. to coordinate the editorial endeavors of our participants and develop new
ways to connect individual projects and researchers

2. to train students and new scholars using experiential-learning pedagogies

3. to use a variety of media to distribute the collaborative research and
editorial work to audiences both in Canada and internationally, and

4. to develop sustained relationships among universities, publishers, the media,
public libraries, and non-profit cultural organizations (book clubs, reading
groups, reading series, literary festivals) that will contribute to a public
literary culture and ensure that Canadian modernism becomes an ongoing part of
literary discourse in Canada.

Providing training and networking opportunities for students and new scholars is
one of the top priorities of the EMiC project. We invite students and faculty
to register for our annual summer institutes in textual and digital editing at
Trent University (TEMiC) and the University of Victoria (DEMiC), to participate
in our editorial workshops at the University of Guelph's TransCanada
Institute (2011) and Brock University (2015), and to attend our conferences at
the University of Toronto (2010) and Nouvelle-Sorbonne (2012).

Additionally, the project provides graduate-student and postdoctoral funding,
not only for research assistantships (for editorial projects) and internships
(for partners and events) but also stipends for MA and PhD students and
fellowships for postdocs working on their own editions of Canadian modernist
texts under the supervision of, or in collaboration with, EMiC participants.

For information about how to apply for funding, participate in our training
programs, or propose an editorial project, please visit EMiC Online or contact
our project administrator at emic at dal.ca

Dean Irvine, Director
Editing Modernism in Canada
http://editingmodernism.ca

"In my work, there are only my expectations and I can't let anybody in, even though I am writing for you, hoping that you come in and help me with this book. That's the only way I can do it. It's the liberation for me, it's the freest place I know. You know, the freedom of the mind." Toni Morrison.
"Our devices for mincing human flesh are part of an international machinery. The whole society is militarized, the state of exception is made permanent, and the repressive apparatus is endowed with hegemony by the turn of a screw in the centers of the imperial system." Eduardo Galeano

Denis Salter
McGill
853 Sherbrooke St. West
Montreal, QC